Hens or Roo's Please Help....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scungilli, Jan 31, 2014.

1. scungilli

scungilli Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Well here I am once again. What do you think? They are 3 months old. I know that the first one is a Barred Rock and the second is a Rhode Island red. The last 2 pic's I would like to know gender and breed of that kooky bird. (she/he is a total DIVA) Let me know. Thank you. This is the first year with chickens, so any advice is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    #1 barred rock = girl
    #2 Rhode Island Red = girl
    #3 I have no idea of the breed, but it looks like a girl

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with SelfMadeFarming, but #3 is a splash polish. [​IMG]

4. gameandmore

gameandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Fort Worth
    The last one is a polish.

5. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Yeah! All pullets!!!

6. Sugsug

Sugsug Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Rutland, MA
    Agreed, all girls - congratulations!

7. scungilli

Jun 27, 2013
    Thank you for your responses. We are excited to hear the news. The last one you say is a Splash Polish but when I look it up I see chickens that look similar to her but I can't find one that looks just like her. Should there be any other name that I put in the search with "splash polish". She has black/grey tips at the end of her feathers. Another question. Is it normal for her breed to be very aggressive? My kids and I have been playing, loving and feeding her since she hatched. The rest of them are mellow yellow.

8. scungilli

Jun 27, 2013
    Also, how did you know that the Splash Polish was a hen? I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm new at this and excited and want to learn.

9. cluckcluckluke

Because at that age and considering how well feathered she is, you would expect to be seeing some rooster feathering if she was a rooster. Like hackle, sickle and saddle feathers.
    Also on Polish chickens, if the crest feathering is pointed then it's a rooster and if the tips are rounded it's a pullet and as you can see on your pullet hers are predominantly rounded.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. cluckcluckluke

I am not 100% familiar with breeding Polish. But Splash is just the crossing of the same breed but 2 different colours.

If you have say....a grey Polish and a blue polish and you put them together, the chicks will be all kinds of 'splash', some with more blue then others, some with more grey etc.
    Note: I don't think there is such thing as a grey Polish.lol.

I know that when making Blue leghorns. You put a White Leghorn over a black Leghorn and the offspring come out with some being black, some are blue and some are 'splash' but those splash are going to be all slightly different.

So in answer to your question you will not find a Splash Polish JUST like her. No chicken is alike, even solid coloured breed are slightly different in colour, it's just harder to see.
    With you searching 'Splash Polish' you are going to get all kinds of polish mixes. Perhaps try searching 'Lavender Splash Polish' Or 'Blue Splash'.

Lucas[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by