Hens pecking at 5 month old rooster

RoseZubal

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2013
We are trying to get our three 5 month old chickens to socialized with our adult hens. One adult hen seems to keep pecking at the baby rooster causing a wound. I put some peck no more on it and separated him from the adult hens for now. I put a separator between the adult hens and the babies in the pen so they can at least see each other. I am wondering though why are they only pecking at the rooster and not the hens babies? He does walk bow legged and I started to give him the Rooster booster poultry cell and the rooster booster poultry booster and that's helping his walking but I don't think that's the cause of the pecking. Anyone else have this problem before?

You will have that whenever you introduce new chickens to the established flock. I think you've handled it perfectly. Putting up that barrier, so they can see eachother, but not touch eachother is exactly what I do. Now, the older hens may be zooming in on the cockerel because he has a weakness. The weaker ones always get picked on with chickens. They're brutal that way. But as he grows and gets stronger, he might just become the flock leader. He will definitely need to heal though, if they've wounded him. And the chickens will pick and pick at that wound.

I would also, if you can, let them all free range outside together, but still keep them separated when you need them locked in, like at night time. That way, the young chickens will hang out together, and they can escape the pecking, older hens.

Ok thanks glad I am doing something right. I can do the free range thing, the older hens usually follow me around and the babies stay in one area usually. What age do you think they should All be in the coop together? I read some about hormones development in the baby rooster?

You know, I always go by size, when I decide to put younger ones with older ones. Because if you put babies that are kind of small in with the big girls, then they can do some serious damage. So I wait until everyone is about the same size.

It shouldn't take long for them to become used to eachother, since they're together in the coop, separated by a fence. And the free ranging together helps.

I would definitely wait until the young rooster heals. And yes, when the young hens start squatting, and laying eggs, that will be about the time when your rooster will be feeling his oats as well. By then, his testosterone will definitely be making him a bit more agressive. (He'll try mating.....it'll be pretty obvious.)

I hope you have a great weekend!
Sharon

Thank you for the tips! At what age does the male mature per say? You have a great weekend too!

Back
Top Bottom