Hens pecking at my roosters comb

If you can't free range then definitely go for the boredom busters. And I wouldn't recommend the cedar shavings - cedar is toxic to chickens and most small animals.

My hens are doing the same to my rooster, and he lets them do it too! his comb is looking rough
1f641.png
they have a ball for chickens. Happy hen treats to peck at.this all started when one hen started to molt because she stays in the coop allll the time and he stays up her butt ugh

this is what his comb looks like now! Should I be worried? (even though I'm worried!)

It looks like he has some frostbite in addition to the hens pecking at his comb. Apply some Blu-Kote or pick-no-more to the comb - hopefully the girls will leave it alone. The picking may be a habit for them by now, so you may need to separate him so his comb can heal - then see if they resume the picking once he's back with the flock.

oh OK I don't really have a place to put him.....
Something as simple as a wire dog kennel placed in the run or a makeshift barrier made out of chicken wire works well for separation. At least apply some type of ointment/blu-kote. It looks like it may be starting to become infected in a couple of places.

Back
Top Bottom