Hens pecking holes in layed eggs!

Blessedmewith4

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2020
Hello fellow Backyard Chickeners,
Our hens recently have discovered if they peck holes in the eggs they lay, they taste good. Now all the hens are doing it. I have tried Oyster shells but they wouldn't eat them (they were rather large pieces, like fish tank gravel. Thats all the store had) I have filled up an empty egg with mustard and the hens ate the mustard and pushed the egg out to the ground. What do I do? I can't be outside all day watching them to collect as soon as they lay. We collect the eggs daily but they all have holes in them. Please help! Thank You!

Roll away nest boxes
x2
I haven't had this problem myself, but I have heard roll away nest boxes help a lot. They have slanted floors so when a hen lays an egg, the egg rolls to a covered tray at the front of the box. This prevents egg-eating and makes egg collection easier. There are some Youtube videos out there on how to make them yourself, or you could buy pre-made ones if you prefer.

Hello fellow Backyard Chickeners,
Our hens recently have discovered if they peck holes in the eggs they lay, they taste good. Now all the hens are doing it. I have tried Oyster shells but they wouldn't eat them (they were rather large pieces, like fish tank gravel. Thats all the store had) I have filled up an empty egg with mustard and the hens ate the mustard and pushed the egg out to the ground. What do I do? I can't be outside all day watching them to collect as soon as they lay. We collect the eggs daily but they all have holes in them. Please help! Thank You!
We had one egg pecker, and I thought I had created by over feeding mealworms... cut way back on the mealworms by mixing about 3 oz (small Dixie cup) worms with about a quarter pound of scratch (makes 2-3 days worth) I toss handfuls throughout their run. The egg pecker has stopped, and didn’t teach the others (luckily). I have had oyster shell out for winter, but she didn’t have any (that I saw). We have also given treats every few days of cucumber, cabbage, unsalted popcorn, cooked rice (no salt or butter)... rarely give table scraps.

I'm late to the party, but...my experience with an egg eater, I added fake eggs to the nest box. Those don't "taste good" when they try to peck a hole! I have also used "semi egg shaped" river rocks in the nest boxes to discourage the egg eating habits.

Back
Top Bottom