hens per roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by presley, Feb 7, 2012.

1. presley

presley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Is there a rule of thumb of how many hens should be placed with one roo in a breeding pen?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    well I think that there is two rules?

As the head guy in a flock, keeping all in line, and fertilized eggs, 1 roo to about 10 hens.

However, I think that if you are breeding certain roos, to certain hens to improve blood line, and genetics, I think I have read here, 3-5 hens to a roo, but for a limited time period? Also, I know that if a hen has been exposed to a male, there needs to be a separation for 3 weeks, before breeding to the desired roo, to make sure that is where the fertilization is coming from.

hmmm I am darn sure about my first statement, and only kind of sure of the ones that follow.[​IMG]

good luck

3. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    we go no more than 10 hens per rooster. sometimes less because that can still be high depending on the rooster itself. Anymore than that and you would really need another rooster. If you have too few hens with a rooster, the reason for the "limited time" is because he will mate with those so frequently that is when you get a lot of problems with feathers getting torn out of their back and them getting sores from being mounted too often. Also the statement about the 3 weeks is what we wait when switching roosters too. They can still be fertile from a different roo before this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by