Hens picking on another hen

I think my chickens are bored silly. We let them out as much as our schedules allow, but now I notice that my other RIR is looking pretty rumpled and losing feathers. I'll take a closer look at her tomorrow, but I suspect she's also getting picked on by the higher chicken in the order.
Spring can't come fast enough. At least daylight savings is next week, that'll help and we can let them out more.

I will do any and all introductions and/or integrations slowly.

Thanks for everyone's input. And I will investigate the pinless peepers too. But if they blind the chicken from taking aim when pecking, does this inhibit their ability to find food too?

I've been having the same bullying problem also. We have 2 RIR and 2 Australorps. Petunia, an Australorp is the smallest of them all and looks much like the photo previously posted. It seems Kiwi,a RIR, is the bully. We've tried numerous times to separate and reintroduce her back with the rest and she continues to bully. Soooo, I think we'll end up with some Kiwi chicken noodle soup. Blue Cote helps tremendously in helping to make the wounds less noticeable to the other birds and has a drying effect on the wound. You just spray it on the affected areas.

Yes, it did dry it right up. I liked it a lot but was warned not to eat the eggs after doing that. So sadly I had to buy eggs at the grocery store. I hated doing it!

I think I'm gonna try some of those Pinless Peepers, they look fairly humane and may help during this time of year as the chickens are cooped up. I don't really want to use them as a long term solution, but they may help for now. And if my other RIR is getting picked on too, well, I just dont have enough space for three different pens.
The Peepers are only 5.50 for 10 at www.eggcartons.com, but the unfortunately the pliers needed to attach the peerers are $21.00. I think I'll chew on this a bit more.

Quote:
They may not like me at eggcartons.com after I tell you what I use to put peepers on and take them off. I use lock-ring pliers. These are pliers that come to a point at a right angle and the points spread when you grip the handles.
I'll see if we list them at Lowes and email you the item number or link.

Thanks for the info. I also read on another thread that the peepers can be softened in hot water and then manipulated so they fit into the nostrils without using any pliers. Might try that first before a plier purchase. But I did get the peepers and hope to have them in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom