Hens running mid mate

coledabomb

Songster
Jun 30, 2021
My hens all have chicken saddles because the roosters were cutting up there back but ever since I got them the roosters have been mating them Less and I think it’s because when the roosters do get on the hens run with him on the back so he can never finish. Is this normal hen behavior?

My hens all have chicken saddles because the roosters were cutting up there back but ever since I got them the roosters have been mating them Less and I think it’s because when the roosters do get on the hens run with him on the back so he can never finish. Is this normal hen behavior?
How old are the hens?
How old are the roosters?
How many roosters and hens?
It sounds like the girls have had enough and need a break. I would whittle down to the gentlest male and remove the rest from your flock. Molting season has started and it's not good for the hens so wear saddles during molt.

How old are the hens?
It sounds like the girls have had enough and need a break. I would whittle down to the gentlest male and remove the rest from your flock. Molting season has started and it's not good for the hens so wear saddles during molt.
Males are the 2 oldest at around 6 months and the 4 females are 5 and a half to 5 months old

How old are the hens?
The saddles aren’t on all the time I take it off so they can clean there feathers out and dust bath. But I don’t think they have “had enough of it” I think it’s more like a well it doesn’t hurt and he’s on me so I’m just going to run. My roosters were the first to come so I don’t know if I could bare to part with one of them

Romance meets Reality.
If you can't part with one, or both, make a separate coop and run for them.
Not fair to the girls to allow 'Rooster Abuse'.
They don’t seem abused in fact when there mates with them they just run and when he hops off they just look back at him and than go back into a group, they don’t seem scared of him and there rarely being mated with, about 1-2 times a day each

They don’t seem abused in fact when there mates with them they just run and when he hops off they just look back at him and than go back into a group, they don’t seem scared of him and there rarely being mated with, about 1-2 times a day each
Are you watching all day long?

the roosters were cutting up there back
This to me is 'abuse'.

Are you watching all day long?

This to me is 'abuse'.
The roosters were cutting up there back before the saddles but now they discourage the roosters from mating form my observation ( yes I do watch them all day in order to build a strong bond with them)

The roosters were cutting up there back before the saddles but now they discourage the roosters from mating form my observation ( yes I do watch them all day in order to build a strong bond with them)
I don't watch my birds all day long and I've seen my boys mate the girls a LOT more than 1-2 times a day each. ESPECIALLY when they are cockerels.
Your pullets are being abused by too many boys.
You need to remove all but one or just remove all of them.
Normal mating does not involve running off. The male lets the female know he wants to mate her and if she is willing and accepts him, she squats, he mates, she stands up and shakes and goes about her business. No screaming, no running, no feather pulling.
You have young, not quite ready for all this mating nonsense, pullets and two randy cockerels that don't care.

I don't watch my birds all day long and I've seen my boys mate the girls a LOT more than 1-2 times a day each. ESPECIALLY when they are cockerels.
Your pullets are being abused by too many boys.
You need to remove all but one or just remove all of them.
Normal mating does not involve running off. The male lets the female know he wants to mate her and if she is willing and accepts him, she squats, he mates, she stands up and shakes and goes about her business. No screaming, no running, no feather pulling.
You have young, not quite ready for all this mating nonsense, pullets and two randy cockerels that don't care.
I got 2 laying hens now and I’m separating the roosters for a few weeks

Back
Top Bottom