hens scraping thier beaks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dar, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have been watching my gals and i have noticed that after they eat they scrape thier beaks on something. The grass, the stone pathway, or even the wooden deck?....

why are they doing this? or re they just Obsessive compulisive about looking thier best at all times... [​IMG]

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I think there cleaning there beaks off.

3. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Mine do it all the time...my itty bitty chicks too. I dont' know why they do it but it seems normal to me.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    "re they just Obsessive compulisive about looking thier best at all times..."

Exactly [​IMG]

They do seem to like clean beaks - Betty (RIP) made it a point to seek me out to wipe her beak off on my sleeve [​IMG]
    My roo BJ likes a very clean beak - always making sure there's nothing on it. He uses grass, the deck (yup, just like yours)...
    If memory serves, every one I've known cleans their beak off, especially after eating anything messy or sticky....

JJ

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    My chickens all do that, too.

My Mom always said, "Birds are so dirty!" Well...I am not so sure about that, Mom. Mine "wipe their mouths" properly after every meal! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine only do it after eating messy treats, if you feed them something gooey they like to wipe their beaks on you. [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just went out and watched ours for a few, and they ALL did it. Thanks for pointing that out!

8. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine too. after grass,corn,prety much anything except water or pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by