Hens seem like getting off roost is difficult

encoreman

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
On the edge, Tn.
Ok relatively newbie, we have 6 red sexlink hens, we have a 6x12 coop with attached run. I made a tiered roost with 4 levels. Although they usually roost on top level, they all seem to be very apprehensive of getting down in the morning. Am I being too concerned? Can I build something like a ladder or ramp to help them? Thanks Mac

I have the same issue with my girls! I had hubby make them more tiers so they would have less space between 'steps' and still, two of the girls (the two RIRs) are always the last ones to take the plunge-and they usually just fly down instead of taking the 'stairs.' The three Whites just hop on down like it isn't a big deal at all...

I was thinking about extending my roost as well because I'll be adding to my flock in Spring, but with this 'getting down drama' I'm in a bit stumped.

I lowered my roosts 2 months ago cos a couple of my girls have the flying skills of a brick. The roosts are now 2ft high and they seem more comfortable when I let them out on a morning.

Ct

Pics showing roost and area of "landing zone" would help. How old are your birds?

X2

What might be their issue is they might not be able to fly off the top roost to land safely...ie, if there's a wall too close, they will hit the wall when trying to fly down.

My coop is set up like that; its long but narrow lol... They can't get off the roost until I open the door, and then they can safely line up with the door and coast out. Some of them even seem to get a thrill off of "rebounding" off of the fence in front of the coop lol :p

If they're young, they might just not be quite sure of their own skills as far as landing go yet :)

Edit to add* there were quite a few "hits and misses" before they all figured out an order of who goes first; they used to all try at once in a frenzy lol. Its like a well managed airport now, they don't smack the wall anymore ha-ha ;)

Last edited:
I just lowered my roosts after my first large breed chicken hurt her leg. Everybody seems to like it better since they all used to have to navigate steps to get down. Now the just hop off with no danger.

Some just never get using the roost tiers in stepping down, even though they used them to get up to the roost the previous evening.

Some just never get using the roost tiers in stepping down, even though they used them to get up to the roost the previous evening.  

Silkies :p

Lol my silkies have to be taken down off the roost every morning, even though they're the dum dums that go all the way to the top!

They can't see to get down, and they can't fly :p

Narrow coop(6') and 36" high roost boards,
had lots of crashes at first with first adult flock, so.......ramps!
Some jump/fly, but most use the ramps.
Landing between ramps is about 14 16".

Back
Top Bottom