Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Pics

Birdielee

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
North Plainfield, NJ USA
I gave her rescue remedy for shock. Gave nutri drench but is not drinking.
I thought she was too hot earlier, so i think she has been injured for at least 3 hours.

I have absorbable sutures. Do i clean her inside with something before trying? The wound looks clean. Her neck itself is exposed, and i think theres a skin flap haning down.
Do i cut the feathers off?
Do i pain medicate?
She is alert, can perch. Willing to walk. She has an active, spazzy personality. Is very sedate right now.

I gave her rescue remedy for shock. Gave nutri drench but is not drinking.
I thought she was too hot earlier, so i think she has been injured for at least 3 hours.

I have absorbable sutures. Do i clean her inside with something before trying? The wound looks clean. Her neck itself is exposed, and i think theres a skin flap haning down.
Do i cut the feathers off?
Do i pain medicate?
She is alert, can perch. Willing to walk. She has an active, spazzy personality. Is very sedate right now.
I had a rooster rip a flap of skin up on the back of one of my hens necks. I used a collagen gel (looks like Neosporin) and just wiped it on there. Healed just fine. I have also used vetricyn spray on a dog bite wound with success. Both can be found at tractor supply or probably a feed store. The collagen stuff is not labeled for chickens. I originally got it for a severe pig injury. Healed that too. Both treatments dry hard and act as a bandaid.

Sewing. Cut feathers off. Arnica for pain and topical 1% lidoaine (injectable).
Drinking lots of nutridrench with arnica and rescue remedy in it. Using alcohol, betadine, and bluekote for degerming.
Salt water solution (like tears) for irrigating wound, trying to unstick feathers that are inside.
Alert and doing well. Not lookin pretty.

I had a rooster rip a flap of skin up on the back of one of my hens necks. I used a collagen gel (looks like Neosporin) and just wiped it on there. Healed just fine. I have also used vetricyn spray on a dog bite wound with success. Both can be found at tractor supply or probably a feed store. The collagen stuff is not labeled for chickens. I originally got it for a severe pig injury. Healed that too. Both treatments dry hard and act as a bandaid.
Great thank you

Ouch.

Attachments

• 20200527_213617.jpg
    20200527_213617.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 107

Back
Top Bottom