Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Surgery's over. 11pm
Patient alive and well, so far. Mostly sleeping for last hour of surgery

Attachments

• 20200527_230826.jpg
    20200527_230826.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 27
We read aspirin can be given to chickens for pain. 5 aspirins to a gallon of water.

We gave her aspirin, rescue remedy, nutridrench, and arnica (homeopathic) in her water. She's eaten a bunch of sunflower seeds twice during surgery, and i gave her some more in her food dish.

She's got neosporin and sangre de drago (also seals up with a coating) on her wound.

What a mess.

Keep someplace dark, comfortable, easy access food and water. Green Tea or a tea made from Camilla leaves can be used as a wash cooled of course... I use Turmeric powder to stop bleeding, as an antibiotic and help heal (but it does dye... so heads up on that).

I wrote that
Can you post a pic? People may get curious.
I "reacted" sad, but i actually got angry w you. I'm in the middle of an emergency and i should take photos to satisfy curiosity? Would that be before I put on my gloves and douse everything with iodine, or after? Should I maybe cause my beautiful, friendly 6-egg-a-week hen to die because I want to get a great shot of me getting her feathers outside and her fat inside, and write about her on the internet? She is alive! And she counts on me.
I'm calling you on insensitivity. Which is very atypical for me.

I wrote that

I "reacted" sad, but i actually got angry w you. I'm in the middle of an emergency and i should take photos to satisfy curiosity? Would that be before I put on my gloves and douse everything with iodine, or after? Should I maybe cause my beautiful, friendly 6-egg-a-week hen to die because I want to get a great shot of me getting her feathers outside and her fat inside, and write about her on the internet? She is alive! And she counts on me.
I'm calling you on insensitivity. Which is very atypical for me.
I don't think they meant to upset you, they may have just phrased it wrong. I think they wanted to see the wound to see how serious it was, so people might be able to advise you what to do. I can understand why you would get upset, and that you were in the middle of dealing with the crisis, but I think Dottie the Chicken thought that if you were able to post asking for help, that you might be able to get a pic so we could see the severity of the wound and be able to help more. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a small cut and something more severe, no matter how well the OP describes it. I mean no harm, and I don't think Dottie did either (the phrasing was just kind of awkward), but I can understand where you're coming from. I hope she pulls through, you've done a wonderful job caring for her. :)

Yeah, i know. That's why i took photos for her. It was a sensitive moment. Chicken guilt, Phone battery almost dead, I called like 6 vets, on recommendation after recommendation. The only one that could help was 45mins away and 165$ to look at her. Not to sew her.

Yeah, i know. That's why i took photos for her. It was a sensitive moment. Chicken guilt, Phone battery almost dead, I called like 6 vets, on recommendation after recommendation. The only one that could help was 45mins away and 165$ to look at her. Not to sew her.
Yeah, that's a high stress moment for sure! That sucks that the vets wouldn't stitch her up, and 165$ is ridiculous. I can totally understand your frustration.

Back
Top Bottom