Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Pics
If you have amoxicillin at home (human) you can use that. Just need to know the capsule/tablet size and dosing can be figured for the weight of your bird. I usually give 125mg twice a day (every 12 hours) for 5 days for a standard sized bird.

No fish mox. Not much here. Can i give her ampicillin or amoxicillin? Human version. Adjusting dose, of course. I have those.

Here it's all injectables and terramycin I'd have to crush.
Duramycin and oxytetracylcine are the injectable options here. Maybe they can be used other ways. I dont know.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs.php Check this site out for appropriate dosage and administration for various antibiotics.

Honestly, if you keep the wound clean, changing bandages regularly, and using antibiotic ointment, it's unlikely to be infected. I've never had to medicate my hens for injuries, even after bumblefoot surgery.

I often don't for injuries either. My concern with this one is that it was large, it is now closed with sutures so any bacteria trapped inside poses a possible risk, and unknown and possible crop damage (I'm really hoping there is not). I would at least have an antibiotic on hand so if there are any indications of infection, treatment can be started right away in that case.

I often don't for injuries either. My concern with this one is that it was large, it is now closed with sutures so any bacteria trapped inside poses a possible risk, and unknown and possible crop damage (I'm really hoping there is not). I would at least have an antibiotic on hand so if there are any indications of infection, treatment can be started right away in that case.
It's sutured, but there are plenty of openings for drainage. It's not sutured all that well.

I understand. But still closed, as opposed to left open to breathe. Not questioning the choice to close it, I would have too. Just a different healing process and different risk of infection. If it was closed really well (and maybe even still) then a drain (penrose) would have been a good idea. You can do a search for penrose drain, or for crop surgeries, where they are often used. There are videos of crop surgeries on youtube, might be helpful in general.

Ive got nutridrench, homeopathic arnica, aspirin, and rescue remedy in the water. She isn't interested in drinking. She drank a lot last night, though. She ate a tiny bit, and ate eggshells. She's weak. Do you have a suggestion (echinacea, ... i guess this is a goldenseal moment. Astragalus?) I dont really know about bird medicine much. I was wondering if milk thistle works for chicken livers, sounds like I od'd her pretty seriously.

There are several things you can add to her diet, you could break echinacea capsule into a little applesauce and mix that with some crumbles, you could also add red pepper to the mix too.

When one of my hens had her back skin torn off her, no skin left to sew up I used Tumeric powder mixed into Bag Balm to help protect the wound while the skin regrew. I made a very loose fitting terry clothe cover as well to help keep her back protected... I did add vitamins to her water, & ACV. I increased protein and added kelp to her diet... just bought some sushi making kelp and diced it up. I added various herbs to her diet that supported immunity. I isolated her from the other chickens during her recovery.

I use both herbal and non herbal stuff as needed, I prefer herbal though...

Any of the essential oils in RopaPoultry Oregano Oil for poultry (this is used by Organic Poultry farms in water to treat birds): Complete List of Ingredients: Emulsifier (E484) propylene glycol, water, oregano, cinnamon, pepper, nicotinamide, pantothenic acid, milk thistle, artichoke, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, thyme oil. Oregano is the oil giving the most benefit in this product.

To make an antibacterial wash just make some green tea, or boil Camilla leaves, to this you can add Mugwort leaves when you make the wash tea for cleaning the wound.

I hope these ideas help..

Thank you
There are several things you can add to her diet, you could break echinacea capsule into a little applesauce and mix that with some crumbles, you could also add red pepper to the mix too.

When one of my hens had her back skin torn off her, no skin left to sew up I used Tumeric powder mixed into Bag Balm to help protect the wound while the skin regrew. I made a very loose fitting terry clothe cover as well to help keep her back protected... I did add vitamins to her water, & ACV. I increased protein and added kelp to her diet... just bought some sushi making kelp and diced it up. I added various herbs to her diet that supported immunity. I isolated her from the other chickens during her recovery.

I use both herbal and non herbal stuff as needed, I prefer herbal though...

Any of the essential oils in RopaPoultry Oregano Oil for poultry (this is used by Organic Poultry farms in water to treat birds): Complete List of Ingredients: Emulsifier (E484) propylene glycol, water, oregano, cinnamon, pepper, nicotinamide, pantothenic acid, milk thistle, artichoke, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, thyme oil. Oregano is the oil giving the most benefit in this product.

To make an antibacterial wash just make some green tea, or boil Camilla leaves, to this you can add Mugwort leaves when you make the wash tea for cleaning the wound.

I hope these ideas help..

Sure. I have oregano oil. And fresh oregano, mugwort, echinacea, comfrey, lemon balm, lemon thyme, mint, many plants. Pawpaw, mullein, raspberry, peach etc.
How would you use the oregano oil? I feel like sticking it in her water will just cause a blazing hot drop on top of the water.

Mugwort for what purpose in the wash?

Wash should be iso tonic or hyper tonic? She's still open and it's going under the skin, too.

Back
Top Bottom