Hens sleep outside

Mwahoski

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2017
I've recently started raising three hens in my backyard but I'm having a little issue. I have converted an 8'x8' side room of my garage into the coop and the adjacent 10'x20' yard into a covered run for them. During the day they go in and out of the coop to sit on the roost or in the nests I made for them, or to just to eat and drink from their feeders. At night, however, they refuse to go anywhere near the coop. I have tried putting a soft solar light in thinking maybe they don't like it too dark but that hasn't helped. If I pick them up and put them in at night they will immediately try to run out unless I close the coop door, if I do that they huddle in a ball in the far corner the entire night. During the summer and fall I don't have an issue with them sleeping outside, but when winter comes I would like them to be comfortable inside.

I check the coop every night and morning since I leave it open for them to use and hopefully get used to. The odd thing is that when it starts to rain they immediately run to get back in the coop. It's been a little over a month.

Hey there,
So we read somewhere that for three days, when introducing a new coop, you have to keep them in there for three days so they don't try to escape and recognize that it is a safe, homey environment for their protection. I'm not sure how big your coop is or how many chickens you have. If you don't have, what is it, two feet of cubic space per chicken, that they won't be comfortable and will try to bully each other and start picking out each other's feathers. I have found this method to work for all the different flocks of mixed bird breeds we have had. They are annoyed as hell, but they are so happy to go out and go right back at night.
Oh, and did you know that at early dusk chickens can't see very good, like at all. It's perfectly fine to us and some of our girls fight beak and nail ;) to stay out until they can't see at all and then the only light they can run to is in the coop. We live in Missouri and here, at around 9, 8:30 they get very fidgitty and are looking for safety or trying so hard to find a good spot.
Also, do they have enough room to perch. Some chickens don't like each other, just like people. They don't want to touch or be near others and will bogart most of three foot of a perch to themselves. They what happens to the rest...
Well, the smaller ones get their spots last as the pecking order allows. I have about 20 chickens and three perches as well as 8 nesting boxes, which some of them would just rather sleep in. Hope this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom