Why do my Orpingtons prefer to huddle together on the floor instead of roosting or using their nests at night? How should I design their coop?

The sketch you posted, is that meant to be to scale? Or just an example of how you plan to lay things out? If it's to scale, that's a lot of nests (aim for 1 individual sized nest per every 3-4 hens) and the roosts are too stacked on top of one another. The exit ramp is too steep.

If it's just to show layout then ignore the above. :)
I’m more concerned with the layout inside… will a mesh floor be comfy enough for floor huddlers? Or should I put a solid floor and clean out bedding daily?
I'd go with a solid floor myself but as I mentioned I don't know what the ideal wire mesh size is for a mesh floor set up.

You don't need to clean out bedding daily - common to clean up daily, but depending on the bedding volume to chickens actual clean outs can be anywhere from weekly to monthly or even annually. In a smaller coop it would be more frequent, maybe every week or every other week, depending on amount of soiling.
How far apart should the roosts be in the coop? And why do people say they shouldn’t be allowed to sleep in their nesting boxes?
Roosts should be (at minimum) 12" from the wall, and 14-16" apart (horizontally measured) from one another.

They should be discouraged from sleeping in nests as they will poop in the nests and thus soil any eggs.

As the proud owner of an orpington, I can tell you my fat lazy bird isn't getting up on anything higher than 1ft. The bigger they are, the harder they come down and they can get injured trying to land that much bulk. Mine will sleep in the nest box if it's hot and I don't add a thick layer of bedding for her to jump down into.

Learning chickens to roost has a few benefits. Its more hygenic. Easier to clean. Costs less hay or whatever you use in the nestboxes. More ventilation possibilities. Easier mite control?. Less dirty eggs.

If you train the chickens to roost you can close the nestboxes as long as the hens don’t lay. Pick them up as soon as its dark and put them on the roost.
1 nestbox for 3-4 hens to lay is enough.

Big, heavy chickens need a roost thats wider than usual and near to the floor. I know someone who recommends only 4’’ (10 cm) from the floor. She uses a plank as wide as their feet, with rounded edges as a roost.

I just wanted to add that the nest box entrances being close to the floor and the roosts being above that height will encourage them to sleep on the roosts instead of in the boxes. They want to lay in dark/confined places and sleep in high places (just not too high for comfort getting up/down).

As others pointed out, they won't necessarily use all those nest boxes. They'll put their egg where other eggs are if they can see any or climb in with a buddy rather than taking an empty box.

I recently installed a 2 box roll away setup that I built for my 7 hens and it's the first time I have had eggs being laid in more than one box. 4 boxes in a row was treated as one with a queue and squabbling so I removed the dividers and converted it to a community box. That worked pretty well until one hen decided eggs were delicious.

All the planning we do and then they'll make you change something. Just do your best and don't be too attached to what you think is going to be great because they may have other ideas.

Our flock of fifteen sleeps in a big fluffy pile in the pine shavings despite having lovely custom-made roosts that they use during the day.

I don't know why they prefer the pine shavings. It's not cold here, nighttime temps are in the 70s and 80s.

They're 8-10 weeks old and they've grown up together. Maybe that's just what they're accustomed to doing since that's what they did as little chicks. I've never tried to force them to sleep on the roosts. I figure they're doing whatever comes naturally.

It's hilarious to watch one decide she has to be in the middle and walk on everyone else to get there. All their heads pop up and they cluck in protest. The walker wedges herself down into the middle of the soft feathers and everyone goes back to sleep.

They're 8-10 weeks old and they've grown up together.
Until they are ready to sleep on the roost they generally sleep in a group on the floor. I've had some start roosting at night as young as 5 weeks. Most of mine start around 10 to 12 weeks but I've had some go longer than that.

If there are mature chickens in the flock mine are not going to sleep on the roosts with the adults unless a broody hen takes the to the roosts and protects them. I've had a broody take her chicks up at 2 weeks of age but that is rare. With most of my broody hens that's going to be 4 to 6 weeks. I've had a couple of broody hens that weaned their chicks without ever taking them to the roost at night.

I'd expect yours to start within another couple of weeks. It could be sooner, it could be longer. If you wish, you can start setting a few up on the roost after it is too dark for them to fly down. Use a flashlight. That should train them to roost. When a couple start roosting the rest usually follow pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom