Hens squatting for young roosters

Roo5

Songster
Feb 17, 2019
Missouri
So I’ve been witnessing some odd behavior.I currently have a flock of 23 birds.6 cockerels,10 pullets,7 brand new grown hens who have been with birds for about a week now.Integration was simply with a few fights (mostly between the boys and the hens, also all young birds are 3 months of age and hens are all over a year ) and after that they settled down.They were avoiding each other but now ,I’m seeing stuff I didn’t expect.My boys are acting so gentlemanly for such young boys.One was tidbitting and respectfully wing dancing around the bantam hen and she actually squatted.I was so surprised.I thought a mature hen wouldn’t squat for such young bird?Him and the Brahma boy are the ones I’m keeping as their the most repscful, the other birds who are breeding, are just grabbing the older girls and breeding them, only 4 out of the six birds are breeding, technically 3 because the Brahma despite him being very calm and respectful hasn’t figured out how to mount hens(that I’ve seen)

In the absence of a mature rooster it would not be at all unusual for adult hens to squat for cockerels. The urge to reproduce is strong.

He did the cloacal kiss,he didn’t just hop on and off or aggressively grab and peck at her.He actaully Bree her

Back
Top Bottom