Hens starting to lay

Presta24

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
So we have 7 hens, and at least 2, if not 3, have started to lay. They are close to 5mo.

My question is about the laying habits. One seems to lay mostly in the nesting box. And at least one lays on the floor in the coop. Yesterday I found one of her eggs laying randomly in the yard. This is the first time we have had chickens so I guess my question is will they all figure out to use the nesting box? Or is there some thing that don't like?

I'm in the same boat. My hens are about 20-21 wk old, not sure because we didn't know to ask the age when we purchased them. We have 4 hens all different breeds. And only 1 had actually layed 1 egg in the nesting box, the other 2 have layed them on the ground. I hope this is only temporary and eventually learn to lay in the nesting boxes. I do have fake eggs in them. Sunday we got our 1st egg from our Barred Rock. Monday we got am egg from our Rhode Island Red, Tuesday no eggs. Wednesday we got another one from the RIR and today one from our Easter Egger. We also have a Buff Orpington and I read that this breed takes longer to lay eggs, not sure at what age she will begin, but I've noticed her crest is smaller than my other breeds. We are first time chicken keepers and I don't know if it's normal for these beginner hens to not lay eggs every day? Since we didn't get any eggs on Tuesday and our Barred Rock hasn't layed anymore since Sunday.

One seems to lay mostly in the nesting box. And at least one lays on the floor in the coop. Yesterday I found one of her eggs laying randomly in the yard. This is the first time we have had chickens so I guess my question is will they all figure out to use the nesting box? Or is there some thing that don't like?
I agree on adding fake eggs, if you haven't already. Since these layers are still young I wouldn't worry about it too much yet - it can take them some time to get used to the process as well as using a nest box.
We are first time chicken keepers and I don't know if it's normal for these beginner hens to not lay eggs every day?
Yes, that's normal. New layers can be sporadic or glitchy, and some birds will routinely not lay on a daily basis.

I agree on adding fake eggs, if you haven't already. Since these layers are still young I wouldn't worry about it too much yet - it can take them some time to get used to the process as well as using a nest box.

Yes, that's normal. New layers can be sporadic or glitchy, and some birds will routinely not lay on a daily basis.
Thank you so much! I'm happy to have found this site. I've been reading some of the threads and appreciate everyone's input with their experiences and suggestions. Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom