Hens still not laying...helppppp-puck...

I have Red Stars. I agree with the previous posters that they are probably laying somewhere else. Perhaps you should consider locking them in the henhouse for one day, and see if they are laying. If they are, then keep them locked in the henhouse for a few more days until they get used to laying in their nesting boxes. After that they should be consistent in returning to their nesting boxes when they have to lay.

No, they're not molting and I've been looking in the likely areas they might drop one in the yard and haven't found anything. No broken shells to indicate they're eating them either.

My gut is they're just not laying. It's like they sleep in the nest box, then promptly come down first thing in the morning and want to be let out. We have hawks so we only let them out if the kids are out playing or one of us is out there.

Egg binding - I'll look that one up - anyone have any expertise in this area?

Thanks to everyone!

Hope there isn't a chicken-vine and my girls hear what yall's girls are doing....I am going home and turning off their cell phones and computer access..
caf.gif

WOOO HOOOOO UPDATE !!!! After much effort and work, we went out just a bit ago and low and behold 4 eggs !!!!! AND two gals were sitting in nests doing the hay throw getting ready to lay ....... wow hang in there it's coming!!! This is what I did to help and cover anything that might be causing issues:
Wormed everyone with ivermectin external for worms, mites, lice, any unseen parasites that could have made them stop laying
cleaned out entire coop washed it down and replaced hay for bedding
cleaned external pen area of all branches sweet gum balls etc burned and gv chickies ash pit to dust in
cleaned water bin (half 50 gallon barrell cut sideways)
gv fresh oyster shell
supplemented feed with some cracked corn for protein
threatened to start dispersing uncooperative chickens if I didn't start getting some action !!!!

Quote:
FYI corn is very low protien only 9%. It is very fatening so not good to feed to confined penned chickens. An overweight chicken will stop laying.

Wa-hoo too!

Well one of the stars laid yesterday and just to make sure it wasn't a jinx she laid again this morning - and so nicely in the laying box. Now I'm hoping the other will follow suit.

I did switch their bedding in the laying box from dried cut grass(hay) to pine shavings. I also mixed in crumbles to their laying pellets and starting giving them some vitamin water.

That and I did give them a talking to the other morning - told them if they didn't start laying, I'd get the ax out.

Not sure if any of these actually helped or that she just started laying - either way I'm happy!

Ya!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom