Hens stopped laying

They've probably just stopped laying for the winter. I actually made a post about this a few days ago, and while I really really really want them to lay throughout the winter, I got a lot of responses that said it is best to let them have a break, since laying takes a huge toll on their bodies.

Hey! Our hens were laying great until the time change and now we haven’t gotten any eggs since November started. Any tricks to get them to lay a little more?
Our egg count has gone waaaaay down, too, and our one green egg layer hasn't dropped one in a couple of weeks now. I'm curious as well. Thanks for putting this question out there!

Hey! Our hens were laying great until the time change and now we haven’t gotten any eggs since November started. Any tricks to get them to lay a little more?

Attachments

• alices-egg-plant-c2a9-walt-disney.jpg
    alices-egg-plant-c2a9-walt-disney.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 5
Add extra light to the coop to extend the "daylight" it will make their bodies think the days are longer. But be warned if you make them lay during the winter their long term egg laying life span will be shorter, so many of us just let nature run its course.

Gradually adding more hours of light should trick their bodies to reacting as if days are getting longer, which will kickstart laying again. Up to you if you want to do that - I treat eggs as a seasonal food and save up in fall to get through winter, and add new chicks every couple of years as first year layers are more likely to naturally lay through winter.

They've probably just stopped laying for the winter. I actually made a post about this a few days ago, and while I really really really want them to lay throughout the winter, I got a lot of responses that said it is best to let them have a break, since laying takes a huge toll on their bodies.
But be warned if you make them lay during the winter their long term egg laying life span will be shorter, so many of us just let nature run its course.

Up to you if you want to do that
I agree on the taking-a-break part, but it is up to you if you want to add light or other things

How old are your birds, in weeks or months?
Usually pullets(female under age one year) will lay all winter,
but they may slow or stop without supplemental lighting.
Lighting is controversial, many don't understand it or mis-apply it.
If properly managed, it is not detrimental to the birds health or longevity.

Back
Top Bottom