Hens tearing nails...what's the issue?

Anna-MN

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
So far today, two of my 3 year old hens have torn off a decent chunk of one of their nails. Ofcourse they bled perfusely but I got the bleeding to stop. Im not sure why this is happening. I trim their nails as needed so they arent too long. It did drop to -20 (without windchill) here today compared to above 30 yesterday. Could it be a fluke or something more serious? Help!

I wonder if the weather is making them brittle. I know that my own nails tend to break more in the colder months. Perhaps they may need supplemental vitamins as well. Are they by chance molting? If their bodies are putting more resources into making feathers, maybe their nails are getting less. I'm just curious, how did you stop the bleeding?

Last edited:
So far today, two of my 3 year old hens have torn off a decent chunk of one of their nails. Ofcourse they bled perfusely but I got the bleeding to stop. Im not sure why this is happening. I trim their nails as needed so they arent too long. It did drop to -20 (without windchill) here today compared to above 30 yesterday. Could it be a fluke or something more serious? Help!
Check to see if they are catching nails on something such as wire/uneven roosts/feed/water bowl/chains(if hanging water container)etc.

I wonder if the weather is making them brittle. I know that my own nails tend to break more in the colder months. Perhaps they may need supplemental vitamins as well. Are they by chance molting? If their bodies are putting more resources into making feathers, maybe their nails are getting less. I'm just curious, how did you stop the bleeding?

After cleaning her up, I applied pressure until it stopped for the most part and then coated the nail in a flour/cornstarch mix. They just finished molt and have been laying again. I give them free choice oyster shell.

Not much to go on here. However brittle nails don't bleed. It sounds like your hens are tearing their own nails loose by the quick. Look at what poster 3 suggested, wire or hardware cloth etc that may be catching and holding their nails when they scratch for food causing them to tear or yank their own nail bed loose. When housed in coops with wood floors, Split boards, cracks between the boards, or boards that are not flat, or higher or lower than the board next door are all likely culprits.

Even cracks in wood or small gaps around perches can catch nails. If the rest of their nails appear hard and normal, it is unlikely a diet issue, as all the nails would be affected. Despite extremely cold temps here I have not ever had nail issues, and have not heard that related to cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom