hens that are constantly sneezing

roxyblue

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
pittsburgh, PA
Hi Everyone!
i have four chickens, two hens in there coop, and two chicks.
i noticed a while ago that my hens were sneezing a lot does anybody know why?
they are both seemingly healthy otherwise, bright shiny eyes, large waxy red combs and wattles, and there both always alert and active.
sometimes i hear them breathing on their roost a little bit heavier then usual but it always goes away.
they both are eating and drinking properly.
and there droppings are normal.
does anybody know what i should do? (if anything at all)

Quote:
Is there anything in their environment that could cause them to sneeze? Dust, smoke, feed dust, bedding, ammonia fumes, sprays, pollen etc...? If it isnt environmental, it's probably a respiratory disease. Here's a link to different types of respiratory diseases...take a look at MG and MS.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

When mine started sneezing and didn't quit - I dosed them with Tylan - solved the problem. Chickens don't get colds... but they do get lots of respiratory infections - some which get very bad and can kill your whole flock.

thanks for answering,
there is a building next to us that produces lots of wood shavings (and dust?) that we sometimes use as bedding.
i will try the Tylan first.
what ever it is, it seems pretty mild. But i've learned from experience not to think that!
(one of my older hens deid from flip over desease, after showing a few signs that she might have been sick. one of my chicks deid from either merek's desease or newcasle deasease she had no symptoms untill we found her parilyzed (bad spelling) in the coop)
I'll look for other signs of things that could have made them sick.

I have some sneezing going on here too...not sure where to get the Tylan though.
hmm.png

Tylan should be located in the cattle section at your feed store. If they dont have it, TSC and Jefferslivestock.com has it. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally as well.

thanks,
I was just at tractor supply
I looked but found none....
sad.png

its a pain since we live far away from any kind of feed store. so we try to make our trips for multiple items....
thank you to all of you guys

this sight is great!!!!

Quote:
I was just at the TSC website and they carry it, you could probably order it in at your store. You might want to consider using denegard instead. It's for swine but it can be used to treat chickens for respiratory issues. There is no resistance nor withdrawal to it. QC Supply is the only place I've seen that carries it. Type in "denegard" in the BYC search box and read up on it. I've read alot of good things about it. Good luck.

Thanks!
i'll try that!
I'm still fairly new to this sight. joined like three days ago so i'm still trying to figure out where things are around the sight....
i think I remember seeing the box somewhere. I still really don't want to drive back to the feed store... but i got to do what i got to do.

I'm leaving on a horse back riding expedition with my freinds today
celebrate.gif
so i'm not gonna be around to check my posts for a few days.
sad.png
but keep on posting and I'll read it ALL when I get back.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom