Hens that strut?

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
Today, one of my 6 month old turkeys that I believed was a hen (has the mohawk, smaller than the toms) has started to puff up and strut with the toms. She/he is small, has a larger wattle than the other hens, but it's still miles smaller than the obvious toms. And she/he chirps as she/he struts. I have fun all day making the toms gobble at me, but she/he just chirps along. Do I have trans-turkey <g>? Do hens sometimes strut for some reason? My friend said she was probably going incognito so she wouldn't get bred.

Today, one of my 6 month old turkeys that I believed was a hen (has the mohawk, smaller than the toms) has started to puff up and strut with the toms. She/he is small, has a larger wattle than the other hens, but it's still miles smaller than the obvious toms. And she/he chirps as she/he struts. I have fun all day making the toms gobble at me, but she/he just chirps along. Do I have trans-turkey <g>? Do hens sometimes strut for some reason? My friend said she was probably going incognito so she wouldn't get bred.
Hens can and do strut.
full

full

Hens strut for a number of reasons including pecking order reasons but it is not to keep from getting bred. One hen I had would strut and pick a fight with the tom before she would submit for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom