Hens trying to mount each other?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Standard Hen, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have never seen this before. I have all standard hens, did have a small Bantum rooster but a hawk got him this winter.
    It seems to be my two white rocks the most. What gives with that?[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

The dominate hens will do that. If there is no roo, sometimes a hen will take the roo's "spot". Don't be surprised if you hear a hen trying to crow!

3. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe you can name the loudest most aggressive one "Rosie" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ok, that's intereting, I just had never seen that behavior amongst any of my hens over the years. Maybe that Barred Rock I have which I can't decide yet if it is a roo or a hen (leaning towards roo) will have a permanent home!

5. sillygoose4ever

sillygoose4ever In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Wisconsin
    i have never heard of that happening. that is interesting. does that really happen? you need to find then a roo!!!

6. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I had a turken, Marilyn, that used to mount a bantam barred rock of mine. Just her. And I had a rooster, too. Now the rooster wasn't interested in Marilyn so I don't know if that had anything to do with it but it happened several times!!! [​IMG]

Ellen

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Songster

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I know it's really weird and that is why I posted it as I knew I would get an answer on here! It was a first for me to see that and the first time i thought they were playing around or having a little hen fight but then the next time I saw as plain as day! The two white rocks do seem to be somewhat dominate but not in a mean way. It is not all the time but I know what I am seeing! Weird![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: