Hens trying to mount each other?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Standard Hen, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have never seen this before. I have all standard hens, did have a small Bantum rooster but a hawk got him this winter.
    It seems to be my two white rocks the most. What gives with that?[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The dominate hens will do that. If there is no roo, sometimes a hen will take the roo's "spot". Don't be surprised if you hear a hen trying to crow!

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe you can name the loudest most aggressive one "Rosie" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  4. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ok, that's intereting, I just had never seen that behavior amongst any of my hens over the years. Maybe that Barred Rock I have which I can't decide yet if it is a roo or a hen (leaning towards roo) will have a permanent home!

5. sillygoose4ever

sillygoose4ever Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Wisconsin
    i have never heard of that happening. that is interesting. does that really happen? you need to find then a roo!!!

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I had a turken, Marilyn, that used to mount a bantam barred rock of mine. Just her. And I had a rooster, too. Now the rooster wasn't interested in Marilyn so I don't know if that had anything to do with it but it happened several times!!! [​IMG]

Ellen

7. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I know it's really weird and that is why I posted it as I knew I would get an answer on here! It was a first for me to see that and the first time i thought they were playing around or having a little hen fight but then the next time I saw as plain as day! The two white rocks do seem to be somewhat dominate but not in a mean way. It is not all the time but I know what I am seeing! Weird![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by