Hens trying to roost in the yard

jcweiner

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
We have 4 hens just over a year old. We live in the city and have a coop enclosed in a secure, but smallish run so we let them free range in the backyard most of the day. They used to go into the coop/run at sunset on their own but for the last few weeks they have been trying to roost for the night on our patio furniture. So now every evening I need to go out and herd them into the coop/run. They go into the run happily during the day to get food and water and are continuing to lay eggs in the nest boxes. I keep the coop/run clean, treat it regularly with DE and there is no evidence of mites or pests. Any thoughts on how to get them to go in for the night on their own? TIA!

Gonna have to retrain them to use the roosting bars at night by doing just what you are.

What is the size of the coop and pictures of the roost setup would also help id any issues.
Thanks. There are 2 roosts in the coop that are 21 inches each and the overall coop is 36 x 34. There is also a 36 inch roost in the run.

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpg
    IMG_9824.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9828.jpg
    IMG_9828.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 5
Is the coop getting hot during the day?

That might be one reason for the chickens trying to sleep outside.
Thanks, it's only been in the mid-70s during the day and in the 50s at night. I leave the coop vent fully open so I think it's pretty comfortable in there.

Thanks. There are 2 roosts in the coop that are 21 inches each and the overall coop is 36 x 34. There is also a 36 inch roost in the run.

Those roosts aren't attractive to them - too low (almost on the floor) and the coop itself, due to size, lacks ventilation for 4 birds.

I'd consider raising the roosts (one example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535 )

Also would consider replacing part of the inside wall of the coop, facing into the run, with wire mesh, to allow for more ventilation that'll be protected by the roof overhead.

Sometimes some of the chickens here like to roost on the railing on the porch of the house instead of going to there garage/coop, at one stage they use to go up into the tree branches too, we use to leave them out 24/7 here just free ranging day and night, however, on the railing isn't good because they poop all over the porch. So now there trained to go into the coop, sometimes one or two don't still and someone puts em away. They get it sooner or later where there house is, but like the other person said they like being high up.

Back
Top Bottom