Hens will not lay in nesting box

me and chickens

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2015
My hens just started to lay eggs about two weeks ago.
celebrate.gif
So far I only have one good laying in a nesting box. The hay in the boxes is clean and I have a golf ball in one of the nesting boxes in hopes to get them to lay there. So far no luck.
th.gif
I do not know any ways to really get them to lay in the e boxes. If any on knows any ways to get them to lay in there nesting boxes then please help me.
bow.gif

It takes them a while to figure it out sometimes, but they usually do. If your nest get a lot of sunshine you can put curtains on the nest boxes ( I use black landscape fabric ) try covering 1/2 the opening of the boxes, makes the nest darker, gives them the idea that they're hiding there eggs. They prefer a dark place to lay.

It takes them a while to figure it out sometimes, but they usually do. If your nest get a lot of sunshine you can put curtains on the nest boxes ( I use black landscape fabric ) try covering 1/2 the opening of the boxes, makes the nest darker, gives them the idea that they're hiding there eggs. They prefer a dark place to lay.
I've got four or five of what could be called nesting boxes. I took an old dog house, cut a hole and attached it to the coop. It's nice and dark, as well as secluded. My birds went right away to it when they started laying. I also put a back on it so I don't have to enter the coop.

I have two of the plastic nesting boxes you can get at tractor supply (that are really dark) and four plastic bins(no top on them. these are the ones my one hen uses but the rest don't).
th
this is the plastic one.

Can you tell if they have been in the boxes and checked them out? How high are your boxes? You may have to lower them for a while then gradually raise them back up after they start laying in them. I'm guessing that they will figure it out on their own given enough time. I have 28 pullets this year and after 3 months 1 still won't lay in the nest boxes.

four are on the ground and the other two are in the air. I put a couple of the pullets in the ones in the air and they scratched around and sat In them for a bit. The lower green ones they have gotten in a couple times on there own and one of the hens lays in those. Thanks for all the help.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom