Hens will not walk up ramp into laying area?

mmcdonald

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
I have 3 new hens about 1 year old each. The hens will not go into their laying box. there is a wooden ramp from the floor up to the box but its been 3 days and they will not go up and into the laying area of the box -- even at night. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Mark

First,
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us. Are you saying that the hens won't go into their raised nesting boxes, or that they won't go into their raised coop to roost at night? How new are your hens?

More details might help -- size and ventilation of run, your general geographic area, for climate, is this a new behavior, where they sleep, etc.

And, welcome!

Change is hard for chickens - sometimes it takes them a few weeks to get settled in and use to things. I'd presume that your nest boxes are set up differently from what they're use to. Have they used a ladder before?? Is yours steeper??? Do you have wooden eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes? And why would you want them to go up to the next boxes at night? Or are you saying that the ladder goes up to the roosts as well?

When we first moved ours outside from the brooder to the coop it took them about a week and a half to figure out the ramp. We would go out and put them up it at night and bring them down in the morning, but they would not use it on their own at first. Once they got used to it they were fine, but you might need to show them where they are supposed to go. They should eventually learn to do it themselves.

Back
Top Bottom