hens with bare backs, sometimes bleeding

roosterkris

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 14, 2011
Hi,
This is my first post (just figured out how to do it) I have 18 chickens, 1 rooster and the rest are hens. Some are older hens (almost 2 yrs old) and the others are 10 and 11 months old. I have noticed many of the hens have bare backs, and sometimes they are bleeding (not badly, but enough to be noticed) and when they are bleeding, the other hens will peck at it. At first I thought it was from the 1st rooster we had (he was mean and would attack everyone, and started attacking me as well, so we got rid of him) We hatched our own chickens and we ended up having 4 roosters. Their backs never seemed to get better (maybe a little) even when we had no roosters or when the other ones were too young. We kept the 4 of them for a little while, then gave away 3 and kept one.. They were all taking turns on the hens! I dont think this one rooster is doing this to their backs. Does anyone know what else would cause this, and what I can do about it. Some of them look like they arent going to grow feathers back. The older hens are the ones that look like they wont grow back feathers. We have a little variety of types of chickens. We have 5 white rocks, a couple of rhode island reds, some comets, the rooster is a golden chicken (forgot what the breed name is) and we have 1 black and white one, and a couple that are like a mixed breed they are white with some reddish or darkish coloring through it.. hard to explain.. I would post some pictures, but I dont know how, or if I can.

I think you can post pix after 10 posts. It would be helpful. Read thru some of the forums & reply to them. Hopefully then you can post. I don't know about feather regrowth, but am interested. I only have one regrowing feathers after they plucked one another. I'm using high protein, avia in water, etc. Very disconcerting. Maybe you'll get someone experienced to let you know what you need to find out.

Back
Top Bottom