Hens with dried poop below vent

cpchicks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Sonoma County, CA
I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm new, and this is my first question. I have four bantam hens, two Black Stars, and a Buttercup roo. All are fine and act healthy, but two of the Bantam hens get dried poop under their vent. I give them a bath and get them all cleaned up and within a month or so they need cleaning again. Is it because they eat too much fruit that is falling from my trees, or too much green grass, or is this a sign of something like worms? I have never wormed them, but I use diatomateous earth around the coop and in my garden.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
CP
hmm.png

Hi and Welcome,

I have one hen that always has dirty feathers under her vent. She doesn't act sick. I trim the feathers occasionally when it starts looking bad. If it gets on the skin it can burn the skin, so it's good to try to keep it clean. I've also seen other people post the same thing. I don't know if it's dietary related or a sign of worms. Maybe someone else will have an answer.

Imp

Yup, I've got a hen like that too. She acts very healthy, and is a great layer, but she always seems to have poopy butt. So I started trimming the feathers in that area (carefully!) and it is not a problem. Reminds me of my Australian Shepard.....

Ours do that too and we just take scissors and very carefully trim away the poo and the feathers below the vent. It's mainly caused by them not squating down when they poo or their feathers are getting too long.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just keep cleaning them and not worry. What are the symptoms of worms? I should know what to watch for.
CP

id say whatever you do, try to keep it clean, i had a hen that had just hatched some babies, and i think had a dirty but from all that sitting. she showed up dead all of a sudden, the day after i noticed how dirty her but was- and infested with maggots. they can hatch in the poo and just take over the animals body apparently. so, just be forewarned. i will never make that mistake again of thinking that- oh, its just a little poop....

I thoroughly inspected the flock today. I found no mites on their bodies, however a couple of them have scaly feet. I know that's caused by mites. Is it a different kind of mite? I soaked their feet in hydrogen peroxide and then rubbed the scales with Bag Balm. This is my own perscription, I hope it works.
The two hens with the poopy vents are fine. The poop was dry, and not near their skin so it hasn't caused any problems. I cut it off as recommended by a couple of you. It's true.....they don't squat like the others do!
Thanks so much for your help.
CP
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom