Hens won’t go into house at night.

BlueBelle33

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2017
I have four new hens (Two Sussex and two silkies). Two weeks this Sunday. But for some reason they won’t go into their house/coop at night. They keep going into a small space at night. So I have to carry them to their coop. As the spot they go is easy access to a Fox.
I seen a fox a few months back so if I left them they would be killed. I’ve had hens before and but also a rooster. This was never really a problem after a few days. What can I do to get the hens to go into their coop themselves? They also have not layed any eggs yet?

Just keep putting them in, they will get the hint. Make sure their roosting area is the highest spot they can get to.
When I first got hens, they were full grown and weren't used to their coop. I kept putting them in at dusk. One night, I went out and they were all in the coop. It might have taken 2 weeks.

I have the same problem. we moved and couldn’t take their luxurious ”Taj Macoop“ with us so they’re temporarily housed in a tiny 4-hen coop which is really not big enough. Every night I have to make sure they go into the coop. Many times they’ll try and roost on the coop roof, of course that’s no good. They protest but settle down after a few minutes. Eventually they’ll have a bigger coop but for now it is what it is. I must admit they are spoiled rotten.

Some may be a lack of familiarity/confidence in the new coop and situation - but CLOSELY inspect the coop for problems the hens might be alert to, then do it again, at night, with a flashlight.

You are looking (during the day) for lack of space, lack of ventilation, obvious leaks (water/wind). Suitable perches. At night, you are looking for evidence of mites particularly, but also ants and other bugs that might make their stay uncomfortable. That they are willingly choosing a small space elsewhere as alternative suggests something about the coop has them feeling exposed/endangered.

Sorry about your predator situation - a secure run, coop inside it, may be your best end goal under the circumstances.

I also raised my juveniles in coop/ brooder. I did have to keep in coop for a week which helps. I finally had to add a night light till they got the hang of it. I think the darkness scared them cause it really helped them at first. I would agree check and make sure nothing else is in there r.e. mites . If you don't have electricity even a solar light might help.

How well have they integrated with the rest of the flock? They may be getting kicked out. Also, how high up is your coop?

My Silkie tends to be the first to bed and it took her 'ages' to learn how to use the ramps and perches in my elevated coop. They tends to prefer being 'ground' birds unless trained and they can't see well with that poof in the way, so the others may be following her lead and giving the coop a miss.

You'll likely get the most progress bringing treats out at bed time to bribe them into the coop and shut them in. Your Silkie may need a bit of extra navigation help if ramps/heights are involved, but she will eventually figure it out. Make sure the ramp isn't too steep as well - silkies seem to be extra picky about steep ramps.

I raised my chicks inside the coop for almost 8wks. before I let them out in the run. I have the Omlet automatic door system. It is set for closing at Dusk to Opening at Dawn. Before I activated the automatic door I let them out and put them in on my own at the same time morning and night. Now I have activated the automatic door using the same times morning and night. Most of the chickens go in the coop even before the door closes but every now and then there are a few that get left out in the run and they seem perfectly fine with that. I am still not comfortable with the chicks or the automatic door and continue to watch them go in and out. The question is I read that if you leave them in the coop for a period of time they will associate it with their home. What can I do to reinforce them going to the coop before dark? We back up to a pasture and the coyotes are extremely close and at times it scares me to be out there in the dark. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Is the heat lamp confusing for them? I know the coop light works but you really can't see it because of the red glow from the heat lamp. I don't want to turn it off just yet because we still have freezing temps. The coop is big and they are growing and learning the ropes. Temps in the coop are around 40*-45* with only one heat lamp on. I have a night light in the coop but havent used it yet. They haven't even tried to use the roost in the coop yet.
TIA for your help.

Back
Top Bottom