Hens won’t lay in new coop

bittyflock

Chirping
Apr 29, 2019
San Rafael
Hi! I built a beautiful new coop for my 2 ladies in preparation for getting another 2-4 girls this spring, and after about a week haven’t seen but one egg. What gives - did they like their cramped and makeshift coop better, or are they just creatures of habit and need some time to adjust? Thanks for your advice! :confused:

Attachments

• 28BA084B-31E7-4EA5-A15E-AB57A667511B.jpeg
    28BA084B-31E7-4EA5-A15E-AB57A667511B.jpeg
    946.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes. All of the above. Hens are ingrates. Nothing new there. They can rival cats in their cunning ability to get even with us for throwing change at them.

Chances are they have been stashing their eggs in places the Easter Bunny would find to be genius. So, two things.

First, these ungrateful critters need to be closed up in their coop for at least 24 hours, 48 would be better, with food and water. This way, they have no choice but to explore their new coop and nests and get with the darned program.

Second. Go on a hunt for their eggs. Pretend you're the Easter Bunny.

Yes. All of the above. Hens are ingrates. Nothing new there. They can rival cats in their cunning ability to get even with us for throwing change at them.

Chances are they have been stashing their eggs in places the Easter Bunny would find to be genius. So, two things.

First, these ungrateful critters need to be closed up in their coop for at least 24 hours, 48 would be better, with food and water. This way, they have no choice but to explore their new coop and nests and get with the darned program.

Second. Go on a hunt for their eggs. Pretend you're the Easter Bunny.
I liked this so much I read it aloud to my family over dinner. Thanks! They aren’t free ranging right now for the exact reasons you stated so unless they’re insanely clever it seems they’re just not laying. I’ll give ‘em the benefit of the doubt and wait a little longer before sitting them down to talk about it :)

Back
Top Bottom