1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens won't go in new coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by InviteTanner, Apr 10, 2011.

1. InviteTanner

InviteTanner Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Not sure if this goes here, but I put up my run and new coop and put the hens out. They LOVED it...until dark came and then they were worrisome, noisy, and scared. They wouldn't go in their coop! I'd put them in and they'd come right back out. Will they learn, or do I have a problem here? Thanks in advance...

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I've read you have to let them stay in the coop for a few days prior to letting them out, this way, they get used to it and know it's home.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Put them back in they will get used to it. Tomorrow if you can, run a small light to it. When it gets dark outside they will move to the coop because of the light. Close them up when they perch and you can then shut off the light

4. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    When we introduce our chickens to a new coop, we move them after dark to the new coop. They wake up in the new coop and they will start re-establighing their pecking order.

We have an attached pen and we keep them in the pen for a few days-no free ranging keeps them close to their new home until they figure it out.

The first few nights after we move them, I call them inside the new coop with the "chickie treat" call. They figure out pretty quick where home is. And where they are supposed to lay their eggs.[​IMG]

5. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I have heard that it helps to put a light in until they get used to going in and throw some scratch out

6. InviteTanner

InviteTanner Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks you guys.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, at first, you will probably have to shut them in at night....This will establish a routine for them....You might have to do it for a week or so.......They just need time to feel comfortable in their new surroundings......

8. Farmer531

Farmer531 New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    Um I have free ranged chickens, now but I kept them in a coop and run for a month and now they roost every night in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by