hens won't lay in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by granmahen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    My hens were always laying their eggs in the nest boxes. When my newbie started laying eggs, she layed them on the floor of coop, now they are all laying eggs on coop floor. Help![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Try putting some fake eggs or gulf balls in the nests, they want to lay their eggs were others are because they think it's safe and they what to make a clutch of eggs.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, a display of 'eggs' in the nests will help, in conjunction with going out there as frequently as possible to remove any floor eggs (so that they're nt attracting more hens to lay *there*).

Also, if they like particular corners or etc for floor eggs, you can put "something" there to prevent them from laying there -- an old box upended, or such.

It may take persistance.

Good luck,

Pat

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    A friend at work said he uses a glass egg paperweight to get his hens to lay in their nesting box. He says he tried the plastic eggs (that appear around easter), but his girls just kicked them all over the place and it cofused his older girls that were in the habit of laying in their nesting boxes.
    I'm very new to all of this, but I've already asked him if I ca borrow it when the time comes...[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks everybody. I'll put the eggs I used in the beginning back in. I thought they would have mastered placement by now.[​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use golf balls in my nest boxes. I have never had a problem with them not laying in them. Even the pullets when they started laying layed in them. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

7. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Yeah I have a "lucky golf ball" in my nesting box... well I have 3 boxes, but they all lay in the one with the ball :}

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by