Hens won't lay in nesting box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OkapisRule, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    They lay all over tye place except for in the nesting box. We closed them in the coop for a couple days, and that worked for a day or two, but then they started laying elsewhere again. What do I do?

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I put golf balls in my nesting boxes and my hens started laying in them the first day. If you don't have golf balls, you can always use the plastic eggs you get at Easter time.

Hope this helps!

3. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I just found my first egg and it wasn't in the nesting box either. I built them a nice box and put golf balls in them and everything! Worse mine free range so I wonder how hard it will be to find them??? it was a bit of luck I found this one, and I can't be sure how long it was there!

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My goldline started to lay a week ago and her first 2 eggs were laid in the wrong place. After that she has got it right every time so far. I have golf balls in the nest box.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you lock them in their coop for 3 weeks.only letting them out to freeerange when you know theyve layed all the eggs for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by