Hens won't lay/ stopped laying

TheChickGirl22

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2018
Hi, I have a question for Y'all. Is it normal for new chickens to start laying and then just stop for no reason? two of my hens started laying for the first time so the eggs were small but then all of a sudden they stopped. in fact out of six chickens, only one is continuously laying an egg a day the other 5 that are the same age aren't laying. We tried buying those fake eggs and placing them in the nesting boxes hoping they'll start laying but is there anything else we can do?

Good, that should help. You should also give Oyster Shell for calcium and protein too I think...
we are giving them crushed oyster shells along with fresh veggies to snack on and mealworms and oatmeal and hard boiled or scrambled egg as the local feed store said it was ok to give that to them as treats

Hey we all gotta start somewhere. I learn everyday. To check is pretty simple actually and may give you some peace of mind or if you do find a chicken that’s egg bound we’ll help with that too.
Please use gloves it safer for your and the chickens health. Get some lubricant heck olive oil will do. Don’t know how tame your birds are so someone might help you hold. Glove up lube up and insert your finger. You’ll know if you bump your finger into a egg.
With the glove you don’t risk catching your fingernails on the tissue and there’s hidden germs under the nail. And you don’t want chicken good stuff under your nails either.

Hey we all gotta start somewhere. I learn every day. To check is pretty simple actually and may give you some peace of mind or if you do find a chicken that’s egg bound we’ll help with that too.
Please use gloves it safer for your and the chicken's health. Get some lubricant heck olive oil will do. Don’t know how tame your birds are so someone might help you hold. Glove up lube up and insert your finger. You’ll know if you bump your finger into an egg.
With the glove, you don’t risk catching your fingernails on the tissue and there are hidden germs under the nail. And you don’t want chicken good stuff under your nails either.
but if they were egg bound wouldn't they be unable to poop? I ask because everyone is very regular in that department :)

Back
Top Bottom