1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens wont lay!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kevsmerc, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Kevsmerc

Kevsmerc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    Well im not sure I have the pen ok or not but they wont lay a single egg in over a cpl of months now...

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How old are your hens? Are they possibly in moult?? Do they look sick? What are you feeding them?
    Answers to these questions may help.

3. Kevsmerc

Apr 22, 2007
    I am new to this I dont know what moult is, they are about 10 months old, they are all healthy 3 hens and a rooster the feed is some kind of laying feed if you need actual name ill look not sure of the types I can get you a picture if it would help also

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they losing feathers? what season is it where you are? are their head combs plump and red or flat and dark?

5. Kevsmerc

Apr 22, 2007
    No there not losing any feathers it is Spring here there combs seem to be ok

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Could they be stressed? Have you made any signifigant changes in their housing, feed, flock numbers...anything? Do you supply them any extra calcium (oyster shell)? I'm stumped.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What breed are your birds? Do you provide grit and oyster shell for them and do you give them anything other than Laying Mash? Treats? Veggies?
    You mention their pen, is it a run with a coop and do you provide nesting boxes with straw?

8. Kevsmerc

Apr 22, 2007
    Well after looking at all the coops I think my problem may possibly be that I dont have nesting boxes like the ones in your coops. As far as the breeds im not sure on my next day off im going to work on there coop a little bit as far as the nesting boxes and ill take a couple pics of them too post on here..What kind of veegies do they like and treats??

9. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Just a couple of odd thoughts here...

Do your chickens free range at all? Could they be laying their eggs somewhere else?

Could one of your chickens be eating the eggs?

I had thought that if you didn't provide a place for a nest, they would make their own.. I didn't realize they could just, well.. 'hold it'!

Meg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  10. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Since they're so young, I think if they were holding the eggs you'd be looking at much bigger health problems. I could be some kind of hormonal imbalance, but I wouldn't think it would be all of your birds. I'm guessing they're keeping them someplace you haven't found yet, or eating them. Keep an eye on them for a day (If you can. I work, have one hen who doesn't lay, and can't figure out who it is. I think she's afraid I'll stick her in a pot.) and see if you can spot what's happening. Good luck.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by