hens wont let rooster mate!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshiha, Mar 3, 2017.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    I have 4 hens (all laying eggs) and one rooster that is a cross (brahma x turkren) all the hens are 2 years and younger. He is a year old ,when he was only 2 months old he used to mount them until 10 months old he tries to mount but then the hens run away! Hes very good to them and whenever theres food or when the go to sleep he just stands till they are done what is the problem not let him mate? His eggs are infertile most of the times

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It's not uncommon for mature hens to refuse the advances of younger cock birds. Patience is the only solution I'm afraid. He will win them round eventually. I have experienced the same - very frustrating when the urge to incubate eggs is an itch thats gotta be scratched!

3. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    There was a mistake when typing i mean i have 6 hens and only 2 of them are 2 years old and 1 is 7 months old new to laying eggs and 1 that is 1 year old and 2 same age as him but none will allow him to mount like they used to

4. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Patience is a virtue, in the breeding season it'll happen. I know it's very frustrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by