hens wont let rooster mate!?

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
I have 4 hens (all laying eggs) and one rooster that is a cross (brahma x turkren) all the hens are 2 years and younger. He is a year old ,when he was only 2 months old he used to mount them until 10 months old he tries to mount but then the hens run away! Hes very good to them and whenever theres food or when the go to sleep he just stands till they are done what is the problem not let him mate? His eggs are infertile most of the times

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for mature hens to refuse the advances of younger cock birds. Patience is the only solution I'm afraid. He will win them round eventually. I have experienced the same - very frustrating when the urge to incubate eggs is an itch thats gotta be scratched!

It's not  uncommon for mature hens to refuse the advances of younger cock birds. Patience is the only solution I'm afraid. He will win them round eventually. I have experienced the same - very frustrating when the urge to incubate eggs is an itch thats gotta be scratched! 

There was a mistake when typing i mean i have 6 hens and only 2 of them are 2 years old and 1 is 7 months old new to laying eggs and 1 that is 1 year old and 2 same age as him but none will allow him to mount like they used to

Back
Top Bottom