11 month old Beilefelder rooster not breeding.

chicken-tender

Songster
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 6, 2016
Plainwell,. Michigan
I have an 11 month old Beilefelder rooster in with 5 -11 month old Beilefelder hens, 3 - 3 yr old other hens and 2 - 2 yr old hens. I see him dance around the hens but no mounting. I have been checking eggs and find the white spots in the yolks but no target or circle shape. Is this normal for Beifelders? I thought they were slow to mature but this seems a little too slow.

I think they are akin to silkies who are also slow to mature, and generally by around 6 months or so, they start the dancing, and in another month they are learning breeding, sometimes to excess.

I wouldn't know how to rectify that if one doesn't breed other than perhaps he's stressed for some reason.

Well, I guess I jumped the gun. I now have 4 hens showing they have been riden by the amount of feathers missing from the saddle area of their backs. On close inspection, 5 others show those same areas feathers ruffled up. I also found 2 of 3 eggs definately are fertile. I still have never seen him mount a hen. And yes I do spend a large part of the day in close proximity to the chickens. Thanks Debbie292d for the input.

Boy, Am I glad to hear that! My fellow is very much a gentleman. He watches over his hens well and any squawk and he is right there to handle the problem. Plus he is nice to people too. I will post a picture as soon as I can. Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom