Hens won't stop feather picking! Help!

Stephanie777

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2017
Hello,
I am new to the site. I've had my 6 hens for about 2.5 months or so. I got them from someone who was downsizing from "a couple dozen or so". I believe they are different ages(a year or year and a half or so) my coop is 3X8 with food and water and 2 nesting boxes, my run outside has 5 perches/ wood to climb on, A 2x3 dust bath, a suet cage with fresh veggies and scraps mostly daily, 2 feeders and waterers, there's always shade at all times of the day they have 124sq feet of space to walk around in the run oyster shells I tried giving them black oil sunflower seeds but they won't eat them. I put grass clippings from when I mow in the run in a pile for them to play in weekly I am diligent with keeping coop and run clean. I've tried everything to keep them happy and from pecking eachother but nothing has worked 2 are plucked in the hind end quite bad one was a little raw in a spot I spray treated them all with Blu-Kote and rooster booster no pecking stuff still continuing. I'll even watch them peck eachothers tips of the tail feathers and eat them and the one beck pecked doesn't even acknowledge it... I'm worried this is going to keep continuing or worse. I have pictures of my set up and the hens if necessary.

I meant to add they are getting laying feed from the co op 16% as well and they have a long perch inside the coop for night time.

Back
Top Bottom