Hens

meowoui

Songster
8 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Beaverton
Well, I found some hens on craigslist but now I'm afraid to buy them not knowing if they are truly healthy or not. I have been thinking about the trouble that some of you have gone through with your flocks getting sick and dying, we do not have and area to keep the new hens away from the others for the thirty days to make sure that the new ones are healthy. My husband thinks I should go ahead and get the hens any way, I would feel really bad if I did and the hens happen to be sick and get the rest sick and they all die. My brother-in-law said if the place is not clean he won't buy from the person the only problem with that is you can still pick up the stuff on your shoes and track it into your coop.

I'm I just being silly and way to cautious or what?

Karen

It depends on how valuable your birds are and if you are a gambler.

People get away with it all the time but I would never put new birds from any source with mine without a quarantine period. I then put an expendable bird from my flock with the new ones for another week. If all goes well I'll integrate.
Even if they are only bringing in mites. I don't want to have to treat all of my birds and clean out all of my coops out of schedule.

It's important to have at least one more housing option. Not only for new birds but also for sick, injured, broodies and chicks. Even if that housing option is temporary or a corner of the garage.

No, you are being sensible. Every time you add new birds to your flock you risk the possibility of bringing in disease. Chicks from a reliable source are generally a safe addition.

I do not know this person so I have not a clue reliable or not.
I'm going to play it safe and not get the hens.

Thank you

Karen

For once I stood my ground to myself and said no I will not buy new hens and subject my girls to the possibilities of getting sick because of my wanting to throw caution to the wind, my husband wanted to throw caution to the wind throw newbies in the run. I told him I all ready to the person I was not going to buy any more chickens, "OH" Ok.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom