Leghorns, or pick another breed?

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Howdy, ya'll,

I keep hens for #1 - eggs, and #2 - pets. I've had a few breeds, along with leghorns. Leghorns produce very, very well for 3 years, then they start going downhill. One of mine had ascites (I think) and I put her down. Another died from a reproductive issue. And now the third is not looking good - hunched up and tail down. She's almost 4 years old.

I'm just wondering if Leghorns are worth it. I'm looking to add some new birds to the flock, and I was planning to get some leghorns because they produce eggs really well. But seeing these older Leghorns get sick and die, I'm not so sure anymore.

Do all breeds have this problem? Or only high-producing breeds? I've heard of hens living up to 10 or 11 years.

Would it be wiser to invest in another breed? I have Barred Plymouth Rocks, and they produce fairly well. But they are only a year or so old.

Thanks for your input!

This is an issue that is common in hybrid layers but the Leghorn breed tends to be more robust (and less productive.) That said, a lot of “Leghorns” are actually production hybrids that look like Leghorns and have Leghorn ancestry.
Hyline layer
B297BE3C-A370-48A8-A3C1-AA874CC4B48F.jpeg

Leghorn
978CE4D3-B4CA-4239-BB86-06738B8FE498.jpeg

I couldn’t tell you how whether hatcheries sell hybrids as “White Leghorns” as not but I do know the Leghorns you get from breeders aren’t going to lay themselves to death.

Back
Top Bottom