Adding to the Flock!

I think I've narrowed it down to EEs or Lavender Orps. Still open to other breed suggestions, but these are the ones I'm most solidly set on.
How do both of these breeds usually get along with other flock members? I have a few bantams in my flock, and they can stick up for themselves pretty well, but my Welsummer cross 😒 has been giving them a hard time.

I think I've narrowed it down to EEs or Lavender Orps. Still open to other breed suggestions, but these are the ones I'm most solidly set on.
How do both of these breeds usually get along with other flock members? I have a few bantams in my flock, and they can stick up for themselves pretty well, but my Welsummer cross 😒 has been giving them a hard time.
My orpingtons and EE get a long really well but that could be because they all band together to stay out of the RIR’s way if at all possible 😂. I’d be interested to hear from someone who has orpingtons that act as top hen, to see if that changes things. Or maybe they aren’t typically the lead hen due to demeanor. Interesting stuff!

My orpingtons and EE get a long really well but that could be because they all band together to stay out of the RIR’s way if at all possible 😂. I’d be interested to hear from someone who has orpingtons that act as top hen, to see if that changes things. Or maybe they aren’t typically the lead hen due to demeanor. Interesting stuff!
As eggs go, what breed would you say lays bigger eggs? And is it a slight or dramatic difference in size?

I would say our EEs lay a slightly larger egg on average, I have two orpingtons that lay a smaller egg. Here are some from today and yesterday to compare, it’s not a huge difference in size.
Tezza-0114.jpeg

My RIR eggs are the largest in our flock but it doesn’t make up for their attitudes 😂

I would say our EEs lay a slightly larger egg on average, I have two orpingtons that lay a smaller egg. Here are some from today and yesterday to compare, it’s not a huge difference in size. View attachment 3793234
My EEs have laid the largest eggs of any breed I've had (though, currently, my only laying EE is 7 years old so her eggs have shrunk in size).
Got it.
Although I adore the Lavender Orpingtons, I think I'm leaning more towards the Easter Egger right now. I already have an Orpington right now, anyway. She's a Buff and at the end of her laying cycle, but she is definetly the most maternal in out flock and one of my favorite hens!
Plus, I've heard that Lavs can be pricey...

Also, wanted to mention, a friend of mine suggested Speckled Sussex. Said that they were the nicest and most easygoing in his flock. Any other things you'd like to share about this breed?

Also, wanted to mention, a friend of mine suggested Speckled Sussex. Said that they were the nicest and most easygoing in his flock. Any other things you'd like to share about this breed?
Also a hatchery near my location has Plymouth Rocks as one of their only four options. Let me know if you have any further advice on this breed.

Back
Top Bottom