Adding to the Flock!

Just my experience but my Easter eggers (all 6 of them) are our friendliest and most easy going gals. We love them! They don’t lay as frequently as our lav orpingtons but still produce a good 3-4 colored eggs per week.
How would you describe your Lav Orps?
If I had any regrets, I would say I wish he hadn’t gotten the Rhode Island Reds. 😬 we love them for who they are but they don’t make it easy!
Yeah, we have one and she is one of the biggest pains in the flock! 🤣

Mine behave like sweet, little ol’ southern grandmas that want to invite you over and cook you way too much food just because they love you 😂

But maybe that’s because they have the RIRs to contend with. They don’t want to cross them and end up on their bad side.

They are excellent with handling/my kids/the other chickens in the flock.

How would you describe your Lav Orps?

Mine behave like sweet, little ol’ southern grandmas that want to invite you over and cook you way too much food just because they love you 😂
I love the description!
But maybe that’s because they have the RIRs to contend with. They don’t want to cross them and end up on their bad side.

They are excellent with handling/my kids/the other chickens in the flock.
I will consider them as well!

If your looking for a good heritage and good free range breed, consider the Dominique as well! They lay an egg almost every day or every day, (they are pinkish and speckled) they forage amazingly, and they are surprisingly camouflage and predator proof. I’m also pretty sure they are on the watch list.

So many good choices!!! What would you say are usually the best layers overall of these breeds? (Including the Black Sexlinks, Lavender Orps, and Dominiques you suggested.)

Stay away from sex-links if you're wanting a healthy breed (though they are technically not a breed but a hybrid). And Easter Eggers are mixes so you never know what you're going to get and their personalities vary depending on where you're getting them from. I've had EEs for 15 years and I've always gotten them from the same place and mine have always been super skittish. BUT they are the healthiest chickens I've ever had and lay lots of pretty jumbo eggs.

Stay away from sex-links if you're wanting a healthy breed (though they are technically not a breed but a hybrid).
Got it. I want my flock to be the healthiest it can be, anyway.
And Easter Eggers are mixes so you never know what you're going to get and their personalities vary depending on where you're getting them from. I've had EEs for 15 years and I've always gotten them from the same place and mine have always been super skittish. BUT they are the healthiest chickens I've ever had and lay lots of pretty jumbo eggs.
Noted. Definitely still open to adding in some Eggers!

Now that’s it’s getting warmer where I live, my EE have all started producing quite nicely! I mentioned before I have six of them, they are all very personable and sweet. It is true though that they will be more of a mixed bag since they are a mixed breed. They all lay medium to large blue eggs.

My orpingtons are VERY sweet and excellent producers. I’d say about five eggs per week. The only reason I know is because they all have a distinct egg from one another which has been fun!

Just look how fluffy and lavender-y 😂 I have four - two have smooth feathers and two have the shredded feather issue. Just something to think about.
IMG_9579.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom