Henster? Or just a hen making weird sounds? Any Chicken cluck/noise experts??

sxulpxnk

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
Hi there!
I have 4 hens; 2 amberlinks (named Katya and Delilah), 1 dominique (named Gita) and 1 production red (named Ginger). My amberlinks and dominique are around 21-22 weeks old, while my production red is about a week younger than them, between 19-21 wks.
Ever since they hit what I call ‘chicken puberty’, all my hens chatter what we consider normally; chook-chooks, brr brr brr, clucks, and the like, and they're never very loud. However, when puberty hit Ginger, my production red, she makes these loud HOOOONKS and HUUUUUURRS (see video).
In the video we ARE instigating her to make those sounds however, she’s been doing this ever since she got her big girl voice. She’ll ‘honk’ when she’s grazing the grass, when I come outside, when they get let out for the day, right before bedtime, when I give them fresh food/water etc.
She can and will literally honk at anything and everything. She’ll make sure to be especially loud & noisy when we make kissy noises at her or when my dad and brother come outside.
My reasoning behind these noises is because she, despite being the youngest, had made herself top of the pecking order in our flock (even though both of my amberlinks started laying before her :lol:) Ginger makes sure the other hens know she eats first, gets the best sleeping spot, dust bath spot etc.
I guess I am just looking for insight on why she is making these loud noises, and why she is the only one out of my flock that does this. Anxious to hear what you all have to say about our 'Honking Ginger'
!

Hi there!
I have 4 hens; 2 amberlinks (named Katya and Delilah), 1 dominique (named Gita) and 1 production red (named Ginger). My amberlinks and dominique are around 21-22 weeks old, while my production red is about a week younger than them, between 19-21 wks.
Ever since they hit what I call ‘chicken puberty’, all my hens chatter what we consider normally; chook-chooks, brr brr brr, clucks, and the like, and they're never very loud. However, when puberty hit Ginger, my production red, she makes these loud HOOOONKS and HUUUUUURRS (see video).
In the video we ARE instigating her to make those sounds however, she’s been doing this ever since she got her big girl voice. She’ll ‘honk’ when she’s grazing the grass, when I come outside, when they get let out for the day, right before bedtime, when I give them fresh food/water etc.
She can and will literally honk at anything and everything. She’ll make sure to be especially loud & noisy when we make kissy noises at her or when my dad and brother come outside.
My reasoning behind these noises is because she, despite being the youngest, had made herself top of the pecking order in our flock (even though both of my amberlinks started laying before her :lol:) Ginger makes sure the other hens know she eats first, gets the best sleeping spot, dust bath spot etc.
I guess I am just looking for insight on why she is making these loud noises, and why she is the only one out of my flock that does this. Anxious to hear what you all have to say about our 'Honking Ginger'
!
That’s a normal noise that chickens make. It’s just communicating with it’s flock.

She sounds just like my Clarabelle. Clarabelle is the only one of the flock of 17 that makes that sound. She is top of the pecking order, she makes that sounds when she is letting me know she is there or if she wants something. If I'm 5 minutes off of my morning routine to let them free-range, Clarabelle tells me, if she wants a treat (fruit, veggies, mealworms, etc.) she tells me. I feel like it is more of a scolding!

She sounds just like my Clarabelle. Clarabelle is the only one of the flock of 17 that makes that sound. She is top of the pecking order, she makes that sounds when she is letting me know she is there or if she wants something. If I'm 5 minutes off of my morning routine to let them free-range, Clarabelle tells me, if she wants a treat (fruit, veggies, mealworms, etc.) she tells me. I feel like it is more of a scolding!
I swear mine sound like my parents when I was a kid when I misbehaved 😂

Back
Top Bottom