Her eggs are brown?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joskt0204, Oct 19, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    So, Oscar is 7 months old, and she must finally be laying. Yesterday, we had three eggs, and we only have two other chickens. Today, she was in the nesting box, and just a little later, there was another light brown egg. What is up with this? I was so excited about a blue or green egg. : (

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

EE? I assume? Well, they are mixes, as you likely know. If her particular "blend" doesn't carry the right Blue/green ability, then, oh well. I'm sure she is lovely. Sorry.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Unfortunately, EE's are a mixed breed, so some of them lay brown or pinkish brown eggs.

But they still taste the same...[​IMG]

Deb

4. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    Well, the Co-op said she was an Ameraucana, but everyone here said EE. She is a nice hen - funny and friendly, and I am glad she is FINALLY laying. I was just hoping for color. Wah.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Time to buy more chickens.

6. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    We had the same things happen. I was so disappointed to get that brown egg rather than the green or blue, but I still love her. Sorry.

7. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Americana. Sadly its like a 50/50 shot to get a blue egg. There beautiful birds but the blue eggs aren't guaranteed unless there true Aracaunas.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It doesn't happen often but yes, it happens. That's actually one reason I ordered 4 EE chicks -- I was hoping that at least a couple would lay blue or green eggs. Well, one will never lay because he is too busy being male but 2 of the others are laying and both lay a shade of green (one sage, one blue-green).

And ditto the other poster who suggested more chickens as the solution [​IMG]

9. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:Sorry about your egg color. I would feel the same way, as I got 3 EE's specifically for the blue/green egg. On a brighter note...are those Aussie's in the background?

10. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    She is BEAUTIFUL no matter what color egg she lays! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by