Her first slug- I'm so proud!

Real McChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
California
Our 4 week old chicks got their first supervised outside time today. They seemed to enjoy it and my daughters and I had a blast watching them.
We found a small slug on the grass and showed it to the chicks. They looked at it, one of them pecked it. Then our smallest chick, Daisy ran over and gulped that slug right down! I can't believe how proud I felt about our Daisy eating her first slug.

They are back inside now, sleeping off the excitement. And this is the only place I could brag about something like that.
wink.png

They are so funny, aren't they? Yesterday, my 14 week old girls were playing "keep-away" with their first cicada. Florie found it first, but then Pearl stole it. They chased each other all around, and Pearl eventually ate it----in one gulp! Agnes and Sylvie were either oblivious or unimpressed. Oh well, their loss.

LOL I know what you mean. I saw my 6 week old BA catch and eat her first fly today, and all 3 babies actually pecked at the live japanese beetle that has been in their run all week terrorizing them! I texted my oldest daughter last week all excited and told her how 1 of the chicks ate a big green grasshopper....she texted me back telling me I was weird.
lol.png

It took a while for the hen mob mentality to overcome their fear of snails, but once they did, it is now hysterical to watch them as I open the coop door. They climb over each other and race first to my huge snail plant bush. Using it as a fast food joint, they eventually sit beneath the deep shade with their pale lavender flowers and grab a succulent bite. Picky eaters only in not eatting the tougher shells of the biggest snails, they've got a huge pile of them which they scratch around the dirt. My plant, where it used to be every day I'd spot check to remove at least 50 snails, is paying back by growing faster thanks also to what the leave in casts offs. A win-win situation. As for the rest of the garden, they seem fine in wandering on bug hunts, aren't interested in the produce as long as they get volunteered sources and protein beforehand. Not sure if the same will hold true with the fall crop, but sure worth the trade off. Organically, this is a perfect match!

The first time my chicks ate a slug I freaked out. I was so worried that they would get sick but my hubby assured me that they would be fine. Now every time they eat a slug I cheer them on. Bye Bye Slugs.
frow.gif

Once when I was in High school, I was to go on a double date w/my best friend. She was supposed to pull weeds in her front yard before 'even THINKING' about getting ready to go out. I spent Friday night at her house so we could get it done early Saturday morning. We're out there on our knees, pulling weeds when she lets out a blood curdling scream. As I jump up and look, she's got a massive slug on her finger. She opens her mouth to scream again, hopping and trying to fling the thing off. It lets loose its grip as her hand flies forward, the slug flew through the air, into her mouth and down her throat before she could react. She immediately lost it, trying to barf up the thing, which caused the same reaction from me, which caused the neighbors to run outside to see what happened. Which caused first the DAD to do the same thing, then the neighbor Mom. Looked like we were hit by a neighborhood chemical terrorist thing. Her Mom didn't take pity on us though. Had to clean everything up while she laughed. Made it on our dates though!

Back
Top Bottom