Her Fuzzy Butt is Dangerous

sticksoup

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Bradenton
My BO has been squishing her eggs after she lays them~ I have no idea why. I don't think she is doing it on purpose- After she lays she sits on the egg for a long time- she has always been like that- but lately half the time now she ends up breaking the egg. It's annoying because her breast is all covered with dried up egg. Yesterday I gently tried to wash her and she screamed like I was murdering her- so I said fine- be dirty. I don't know if anyone has any advise on this- but I'd gladly take some.

Are the shells of the eggs softer than usual? seems odd that she keeps breaking them. Is the next box large enough she isn't cramped is she? As far as washing her, her loudness is just her drama, she will live through it -- if you want to clean her.

Just a thought....are her egg shells extremely thin? I found an egg just yesterday right inside the chicken coop door. It must have been stepped on by every chicken as it was covered in dirt, but it was whole without a crack.

I have 3 buff orpington hens...never had that problem. Do you keep crushed oyster shell out for your hens? Some hens do not like to be picked up or messed with but i've taken mine a bath...actually a dip (for fleas) and some yelled like i was taking them to the scalding pot (which i would never do) but after the dip they all looked happy and cool...and when dry they were just gorgeous!

Laurie

Her shells are normal~ She won't nest in the boxes- I don't know why. She makes herself her own nest on the other end of the coop. I tried putting boxes, buckets, baskets over there to encourage her but she just pushes them aside. Her favorite spot is on top of the hale bale we keep outside the coop- but after the first broken egg there she isn't allowed to 'contaminate' the clean hay.
23538_sunshine1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom