1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

her poor head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Jan 17, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

What can I put on her bald spot to help the feathers grow back in? I'm thinking she was being picked on, and she is separate from the others now.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just clean it and maybe use a little Neosporin to prevent infection. Mostly she needs time and freedom from being pecked. If you have a young rooster, he may grow up some and calm down over time.

3. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    My polish was pecked bloody and raw on her head. Wash it with warm soapy water and Neosporin on it. Keep her separate for a whole and then try to find out who the bully is and isolate her for a few weeks. The pecking order will be changed once she is introduced back into the flock. Good luck, we had to get rid of one since she was going after all my polish. She was re homed to a farm where she has more room. Just add the Neosporin once, too much will dry out the skin.

4. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I've found Vetricin can work wonders. It doesn't if you get it and ears or eyes. It's also non-toxic. I've also heard that hairspray can help them from getting picked on again. That and bitter apple spray. When the other chickens peck them they hate the taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by