Herb Garden - pics

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by jojo54, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
  2. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful!

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Wow! You have a wonderful herb garden! I love herbs!!!

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    So envy you! I don't have enough flat ground on my farm to lay herbs out the way yours are! Are there any herbs that you would add to your garden? Any you have found you don't use? I know I planted 2 varieties of parsley 1 year & then figured I didn't like either for cooking. My DD did use the parsley for decorating our plates to make meals fancy! Also my marjoram & sage took off like crazy & I realized I hardly use it.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    It looks so nice.My herbs are all over the place.

6. jojo54

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:Have you tried drying your parsley? I always have dried parsley on hand to add to soup, stew, roasts, etc. I have a number of herbs I don't use as such. They are there for scent, looks and variety of leaves. I do use some fresh and also dry a number of them.

Sage takes a very look time to dry. This year I think I will hang it until the leaves are crumbly. Last year I tried the dehydrator but it took forever.

As for additions, there are always interesting herbs I haven't grown yet and have a tendency to buy a small potted herb now and then. Sometimes they stay, other times they are replaced by others.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    jojo54,

I love the way you have your her garden set up, it's gorgous! [​IMG] I've got mine scattered all over the yard (for optimum growing conditions) and just started spreading them into the garden this year to help out our beneficial insects.

Is that garlic in the first picture (upper left hand corner)?
    I planted a few cloves from store bought garlic last November and just harvest it last week. We'll be placing a large garlic order, for this years planting, now that I know we can grow it here.

Dawn

8. jojo54

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    No those are onions but I do have garlic as well. I plant it in the fall and cover it with hay/straw. It grows huge and my mom loves it so I share alot with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by