Herb list

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hello! Recently we got new chickens (4) and i really want to be prepared, aside from working to make my chicken first aid kit, which has been going well! I came across some things i heard a few years back, herbs for chickens helping immune systems and that such. I just want to be prepared incase something does happen. We have vets nearby, *although a bit pricey* we have a small flock, but im just curious if ive read this information right, and if anyones had luck with this. Ive never given my chickens herbs *besides oregano in some occasions, but not now because we used to grow it, and now our herb garden died sense its winter,* so im wondering if this works as people say it does and if i read the information of if correctly!
So if anyone would like to fact check me on this, id appreciate it! Thanks. *not meant to be informative, im looking to see if i have the right research done on this*
Keep in mind we have a plentiful amount of most of this in dry form, which i hear probably isnt as affective, but i can always do a quick shopping spree and get some fresh if needed. *or grow some inside* Im saying the key parts i read online, not all.

Oregano = Helps immune system
Basil = Immune system, digestion
Thyme = antibiotic and antibacterial
Sage = antioxidant
Rosemary = Pain relief?

thanks in advance!

Save the herbs for when you cook them.
A good chicken feed and fresh plain water always available,
along with lots of space with lots of ventilation,
will keep them healthy

will keep them healthy
Thanks :) i have no current use for these herbs nor planning on using them as theres no reason to right now. I was just curious if its something to look into feeding them incase something happens. We have room temp water, free range chickens with a decent sized coop + extension and insulation in some areas with ventilation aswell. ive never used herbs as a healing purpose in chickens before so i figured it wasnt that needed sense ive gone almost a year without using it before, but i just wanted to double check! Thanks again.

will keep them healthy

I agree.

I have actually tossed things like basil flowering tips and rosemary prunings into the run and found that the chickens completely ignored them. If you want to make them happy, pull up a dandelion and toss that into the run. Mine descend upon dandelions like a school of sharks drawn to chum.

While the plural of anecdote is not data, in a number of years of reading this forum I have concluded that the vast majority of health and behavioral problems people come here asking about can be traced to over-crowding, poor ventilation, or both. :)

I agree.

I have actually tossed things like basil flowering tips and rosemary prunings into the run and found that the chickens completely ignored them. If you want to make them happy, pull up a dandelion and toss that into the run. Mine descend upon dandelions like a school of sharks drawn to chum.

While the plural of anecdote is not data, in a number of years of reading this forum I have concluded that the vast majority of health and behavioral problems people come here asking about can be traced to over-crowding, poor ventilation, or both. :)
wow! Wish i wouldve saved some dandelions, just plucked them into a weedpile! I’ll give them some if i find more. We definitely have no problems with our chickens, and they have a good healthy life! And i dont give them treats anymore, i used to keep it minimal but i have no reason to now and they are eating their kibble, mash, and whatever insects they find outside 😂

wow! Wish i wouldve saved some dandelions, just plucked them into a weedpile! I’ll give them some if i find more. We definitely have no problems with our chickens, and they have a good healthy life! And i dont give them treats anymore, i used to keep it minimal but i have no reason to now and they are eating their kibble, mash, and whatever insects they find outside 😂

My chickens get ALL the weeds.

In fact, I have both false dandelion and real dandelion and am giving them all the false dandelion while I encourage the real dandelions to grow -- because we like dandelion salad too.

My chickens get ALL the weeds.

In fact, I have both false dandelion and real dandelion and am giving them all the false dandelion while I encourage the real dandelions to grow -- because we like dandelion salad too.
yes! We tried dandelion salad and it was quite tasty, our chickens eat some of the weeds like some types of clovers and such, but they usually dont which is a bit unfortunate, so we end up composting most of the ones they dont eat.

I throw it all into the run. They eat what they eat and the rest becomes one with the bedding.
Thats smart. our major weeds are clover splotches *the bad ones* which they tend to eat, next weed picking ill put some in their coop to snack on. Dont know the “clover“ weeds name but their very big and hard to pull and worse then normal clovers, it has a bit of resemblance to them though.

I too, am of the don't feed herbs. Feed good quality feed, and clean water. I have had chickens for years, and only had one sick chicken. (knock on wood). I think people can get in the habit of looking for something to treat.

Best treatment is space, fresh air, clean water, and wind protection.

Back
Top Bottom