Herbs and Guineas

I’ll have to do the same. I just caught one of the cats napping in there🙄
We haven’t had a lot of bunnies in years. Their numbers are slowly growing again, but nothing like they were 5-7yrs ago.
Rabbit populations are cyclical as are predator populations. The more bunnies, the more predators.

I have only collected one raccoon and two skunks so far. All three were within a week of each other back in the middle of April.
I haven't seen any so far, but w/out scrolling back, I think that fiasco wasn't until June, when they were traveling with juveniles in tow.

Surely you all know by now that I like to read a lot. I also like to provide scientific evidence when I can.
This a.m. I was looking for evidence that raccoons are repelled by peppermint. Haven't found that yet, other than some guy in NY has started producing garbage bags infused w/peppermint essential oil that is said to have cut down on rodent population in Long Island Parks.
I read some woman's blog stating that herbs are detrimental to chickens, and that kind of irked me. Most likely there are some herbs that are, but a blanket statement like that omits that the bulk of what ppl refer to as obnoxious weeds are herbs. Chickweed, dandelion, burdock, etc.
I still haven't found scientific evidence regarding raccoons, but knowing that there are farms experimenting w/herbs successfully instead of antibiotics, I thought I'd share this research.
http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0375-15892019000100020

I've studied medicinal aromatherapy under numerous educators from around the world The U.S. is coming around, but still far behind other countries that incorporate them in the hospital setting.
-and obviously if herbs were poison to poultry, mine as well as just abt everyone else's wld be dead by now.
Back to the raccoons. I think what I'll do when they start coming around is use a cotton ball saturated w/peppermint essential oil to paint a line all the way around the outside of the coop.
If it works, it wld be a lot more neighbor friendly than having a motion detecting horn blasting at 2 a.m., which I was considering....:lau
on it

Surely you all know by now that I like to read a lot. I also like to provide scientific evidence when I can.
This a.m. I was looking for evidence that raccoons are repelled by peppermint. Haven't found that yet, other than some guy in NY has started producing garbage bags infused w/peppermint essential oil that is said to have cut down on rodent population in Long Island Parks.
I read some woman's blog stating that herbs are detrimental to chickens, and that kind of irked me. Most likely there are some herbs that are, but a blanket statement like that omits that the bulk of what ppl refer to as obnoxious weeds are herbs. Chickweed, dandelion, burdock, etc.
I still haven't found scientific evidence regarding raccoons, but knowing that there are farms experimenting w/herbs successfully instead of antibiotics, I thought I'd share this research.
http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0375-15892019000100020

I've studied medicinal aromatherapy under numerous educators from around the world The U.S. is coming around, but still far behind other countries that incorporate them in the hospital setting.
-and obviously if herbs were poison to poultry, mine as well as just abt everyone else's wld be dead by now.
Back to the raccoons. I think what I'll do when they start coming around is use a cotton ball saturated w/peppermint essential oil to paint a line all the way around the outside of the coop.
If it works, it wld be a lot more neighbor friendly than having a motion detecting horn blasting at 2 a.m., which I was considering....:lau
on it
Interesting article, and intrigues to hear that you are an aromatherapy practitioner! I don’t really know much about aromatherapy, but most strong smells are too much for me.

What’s vetiveer???
Believe it or not, it's a clump of grass (khus) from India. They distill the roots to get the oil. I'm not sure if it's straw or hay I'm thinking of, that deep earthy smell on a farm that tells you you're right where you should be (unless you hate farms...). It's grounding, calming. It's used a lot in both men & women's colognes.

Believe it or not, it's a clump of grass (khus) from India. They distill the roots to get the oil. I'm not sure if it's straw or hay I'm thinking of, that deep earthy smell on a farm that tells you you're right where you should be (unless you hate farms...). It's grounding, calming. It's used a lot in both men & women's colognes.
I’ve never heard of that before, but your description sounds like it smells really good!
I love the smell of outside/earthy smells.

Back
Top Bottom