Herbs for chickens

beeksnfeet

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
IL/WI border
I have read stories about people giving their chickens fresh herbs for many different reasons or using them in the nesting boxes & coops. However, I haven't seen a thing stated about ground herbs. Will they serve the same purpose? I have aquired a ton of dried ground herbs and have mixed them all together into a gallon jar. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage, dill, cumin, basil, sesame seeds, garlic powder. I might have missed a few, but I think you get the picture. They were too old for my cooking needs but took them from this person, because I couldn't stand the thought of her dumping that much stuff. I was wondering if anyone thought it would be ok to use for my 3 girls? Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

Hi there! I use all forms of herbs with my flock. (Including ground herbs.) It should be fine and serve the same benefits for your chickens!:)

Thanks for the reply. I have so much of this stuff and I do HATE to waste, so your reply is most appreciated. Do you give them everyday, or just a few times a week? :/

I give them herbs about once a day or every two or three days depending on my schedule. It doesn't really matter how often they receive herbs unless you are treating a chicken for an injury, sickness, etc. Then you should use herbs everyday.

How did they like them? Mine are about a month or so old and I haven't experimented with giving them things aside from mealworms, grit and chick feed. Very curious!

Mine love the carrot ends, parsley and dill. I have a small garden set up that in just letting them have at it. So much dill I figure it will help me.

Back
Top Bottom